Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVI-D (Single Link) cable vs. DVI-D (Dual Link) cable

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I bought a monitor that has a DVI-D (Dual Link) port but all I have is a DVI-D (Single Link) cable. It seems to work with the monitor ok, but I am just wondering how much better quality the (Dual Link) will be. I was looking on Wikipedia and found that the only difference was that the (Dual Link) had an extra 6 data pins, (2 digital green, 2 digital blue, and 2 digital red).

So what are the benefits of DVI-D (Dual Link) over DVI-D (Single Link)?
How much better is it?
And is their anything else I should know?

Advertisements

BataAlexander

BataAlexander

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
The maximum resolution for a Single Link cable is @ 1600 × 1200 Pixel (UXGA) antitussive 1920 × 1200 (WUXGA).
The formula for the maximum resolution for Dual Link is

X-Resolution * Y-Resolution * Refreshrate * (1 + reacttimelosses(sry,have no better translation of Totzeitverluste) in %) = Bandwith.
So a resolution of max. 2560 x 1600 Bildpunkte @ 60 Hz (QXGA) is possible.
If you use "normal" graphic card settings you will not perceive any difference.

A Single Link provides a max. frequency of 165MHz pixelcycle, Dual Link about 330MHz. :whistling:

Bata

Edited by BataAlexander, 15 August 2007 - 01:08 PM.

maddgamer

maddgamer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
[quote name='BataAlexander' date='Aug 15 2007, 02:04 PM' post='1030148']
The maximum resolution for a Single Link cable is @ 1600 × 1200 Pixel (UXGA) antitussive 1920 × 1200 (WUXGA).
The formula for the maximum resolution for Dual Link is

X-Resolution * Y-Resolution * Refreshrate * (1 + reacttimelosses(sry,have no better translation of Totzeitverluste) in %) = Bandwith.
So a resolution of max. 2560 x 1600 Bildpunkte @ 60 Hz (QXGA) is possible.
If you use "normal" graphic card settings you will not perceive any difference.

A Single Link provides a max. frequency of 165MHz pixelcycle, Dual Link about 330MHz. :)

OK for us poor dumb guys does this mean that duel link is better but the difference will not show up on the monitor or preform better? This may soud silly but my minitor has DVI single link and my video card has Duel link. I am planing to get a new monitor anyway and have ordered one with duel link so that both the computer video card and the monitor have the same connector and I will not have to use an adapter. If the difference does not really show up now will there ever be a time when duel link will be the way to go.

Maddgamer