Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

customized contact form issues.

• Please log in to reply

mr_malkovich

mr_malkovich

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey All...

Running Outlook 2003 on a PC and a laptop, both using XP Pro. I recently signed up with a Microsoft exchange host by the name of Mailstreet. Once doing that I designed a customized Outlook contact form by the name of 061907, saved it to the Personal Forms Library, then right-clicked on my Contacts folder, went to Properties, and made sure that the "When posting to this folder, use: " dropdown was set to 061907. This worked dandy for several weeks until one day when I was out of the country (of course), I tried to open a new contact file, I received the dreaded "this form could not be found. Contact your administrator." pop-up. I also noticed that half the emails in my inbox had turned into Posts (yellow note icon). I went to my flash drive, where I had a copy of 061907 stored, and resaved that over the old version I had in my Personal Forms Library. That helped, in that my customized form returned, but every time I clicked on an existing contact or clicked on New Contact, the computer would do nothing for ten seconds, a pop-up saying "Done." would appear, and THEN my desired contact form would appear. Very irksome.

So I got home and fired up my desktop and it is doing the exact same thing! And since I was told that custom Outlook contact forms are all dealt with locally, it all seems a bit weird to me. I found this article (http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_839804.aspx) which deals with this problem. It suggests that there is some kind of conflict between the cache and the actual file, which sounds reasonable. It also suggested that to troubleshoot, I temporarily disable the custom Visual Basic Scripting code in the form by holding down Shift while clicking on a contact file and voila, no pause, no "Done.", just my file. So now that we have found a temporary solution - hiolding down Shift to disable VBS - the question is: what do I do to achieve a permanent fix, without having to resort to the Shift solution every time I want to access a contact file without waiting ten seconds? Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisements