Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Error! STOP:C0000221 [bad image checksum]

• Please log in to reply

Donna Dorko

Donna Dorko

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:whistling: My sister is experiencing trouble with her computer. When ever she turned on the computer it would go like it was going to load up XP and then it would flash to a blue error screen so fast you can't read it, then it will shut down,and the computer will automatically restart and do the same thing all over again. She pressed F8 and made it to where it wont automatically restart and then it will go to the error message, which reads STOP:C0000221 [bad image checksum] the image gdi32.dll is possibly corrupt. the header checksum does not match the computed checksum

Edited by Donna Dorko, 15 August 2007 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisement

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is caused by a corrupt file.
The file may be corrupt because the memory in the computer is bad, or the file is sitting on a bad sector of the hard drive.

A general fix is a Windows Repair, but if faulty memory is the case, repairing will only make it worse.

Therefore first thing to do is this, if it passes fine after an overnight pass, then perform a Windows repair.
http://www.memtest.org/

Donna Dorko

Donna Dorko

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:whistling: I'm sorry, I don't think I explained things very well. She can't get in to her computer at all, she can't even restore it, she can't even get to it in safe mode. Every time she gets to the part where windows is loading her settings it shuts down.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Same advice as above. Hardware issues can cause these types of things. Either that or the installation is badly screwed up. I suggest you perform hardware testing on the memory first, its most likely the cause.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,074 posts
You have to use another computer to download memtest and create a bootable cd (instead of memtest you can download Micrososft memory test utility from my list of programs below). After you you created the bootable cd you insert it into the cd drive and start the computer. The computer will boot right into the utility bypassing windows allogether.

If the computer does not boot you have to make sure that the cd drive is first priority boot device. This is done either in the BIOS (setup) or a boot menu. Upon startup you will see what keys are needed to be pressed to enter these menus.

Advertisement