Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some kind of worm - I think it's New Poly

• Please log in to reply

s302

s302

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone

My laptop has at least one virus on it right now. If I leave it connected to the internet I get a whole series of notifications from McAfee about potential worm activity, sending spam emails out. This gets a lot worse, because I don't use any email accounts set up on there, so I'm guessing someone else has checked their emails on there and the login details are saved somewhere.

Anyway, on the notifications, it said that the worm involved was W32/New Poly (or however it's written).

I also had a whole load of files create themselves on my C drive, with such names as 68.tmp, 69.tmp etc. I deleted these.

I now have a file on my C drive called cd1041.nls, which I don't recognise as having been there before. I can't delete it because it says it's either write-protected or in use (it's not read-only, so I'm sure some program is running it in the background).

Also, the McAfee icon in the bottom corner of the screen has turned to black, suggesting that VirusScan is disabled, and I can't get it to re-enable.

I ran Spybot, and it came up with the usual tracking cookies, but also a program file, and some registry entries I'd never seen it come up with before. It fixed them all, and I re-connected to the internet. Unfortunately this had not solved the problem, and it sent a whole load more emails before I could disconnect it again. Running Spybot again showed some of the registry entries etc had come back again (or not properly deleted the first time I guess).

I've thought about maybe doing a System Restore, to take it back to the way it was a couple of days ago - would that be the right thing to do? If not, please give me any advice you can, and I'll be really grateful.

Thanks very much.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.