Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mouse dosent work properly

• Please log in to reply

madore9

madore9

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My 1 month old computer is starting to anger me...sigh....just another problem

Anyway I have a KVM switch between two computers and I have a USB mouse connected to a PS/2 converter. On my new computer it shows the mouse arrow but the mouse does not move or respond to anything, on the other computer the mouse works perfectly......thanks in advance for any help!!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi madore9, have you tried using it without the PS/2 converter?

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm not sure what your getting at. I know the mouse isn't the problem, and I can't plug it in without the adapter because its being plugged int a KVM switch and I need it for both computers. I have also tried plugging a regular PS/2 mouse into its slot (not on the KVM and I got the same problem.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think what ruthandtroy meant was have tried connecting the USB mouse straight to the USB port on the computer? If this works then the problem is almost certainly with the PS2 port on that machine. It may be simply disabled in the bios or it could be blown.
I'd suggest you try connecting it to a USB port to start with just to make sure you do have USB mouse function, and then look in the bios to check the PS2 mouse port settings.

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It does work as a USB mouse but I can't get to my BIOS for some reason I have no idea why as I have a ps/2 keyboard plugged directly into it, and my computer is almost brand new is it possible that the port could have gone out that quickly?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Not likely but possible, yes.
Does the system tell you on screen what key to press to get into the bios?

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes it does its F10 and after about 10 reboots it finally let me into the BIOS setup, but once I was in there none of the keyboard commands worked (up, down, enter...). I tried to reboot again and now I can't get in again, so I am thinking there's a bigger problem then my mouse....

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

so I am thinking there's a bigger problem then my mouse....

I'm thinking you might be right!
You said that this was a very new system. Is it a big name branded system such as a HP, Dell etc? If so, can you tell me the exact model number or name? If it's not then what is it? (eg custom build etc). If you know the motherboard model & cpu that would be really helpful.

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Its a Compaq (sort of a big name i guess used to be bigger....) but its a compaq persario sr2032x, it has an AMD 64 athlon proccesor with windows xp, sorry but i don't really know how to figure out the motherboard model, if you know how I will definatley find it out.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Pardon me for butting in here, but some USB mice do not do a true conversion to PS/2 mice with converters. There are still some decent optical PS/2 mice made, one is sold by GE, I've used it on some quite old machines, 386 and 486 with a PS/1 adapter and it works flawlessly.

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the input. But unfortunately it converts fine as it works with one computer and worked for a while on the one I am having problems with. Before I bought the compaq it was working fine with the converter.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Motherboard model not necessary - the compaq model was all I needed, thanks.
I haven't been able to find any known issues with this model in regards to mice/keyboard problems etc.

Are you using a PS2 keyboard or USB keyboardn with adapter? If it's PS2, have you tried getting into the bios with the keyboard connected directly to the computer, instead of the switch box?

Re. the switch box - I quite often use one myself (Belkin Omniview 4 port) which can run (in theory) with or without an external power adapter. Without one, it draws its power from the PS2 ports of the computers. Do you have a similar switchbox & do you use an external power adapter with it?

Are you having any other problems with the Compaq, other than the ones you've mentioned?

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The keyboard is PS2 connected directly into the computer. I do get an error message whenever I have a usb mouse plugged in it says my ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt and to repair it or windows cannot start. Then I shut the computer off and unplug the usb and it lets me start. Also my KVM runs without a power adapter.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I was wondering if the keyboard problems were being caused by a lack of power to the KVM but as the keyboard is connected straight to the computer, this shouldn't be an issue.

The USB mouse & ntoskrnl.exe problem is strange. I would be tempted to check the legacy USB settings in the bios (i.e if currently enabled, then disable. If currently disabled, then enable) but I realise this means you need a functional keyboard in the bios. Have one last go at getting into the bios & seeing if you can navigate around it this time. Before you do though, unplug the mouse completely so only the PS2 keyboard is connected.

If you still have problems, I would suggest you may want to consider returning the system under warranty. I'm normally reluctant to advise this so early on but you sound fairly competent when it comes to using to the computer & so I can't imagine the problem is being caused by you doing something daft! Let me know what you think