Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla Firefox crashed.

• Please log in to reply

StevenAment

StevenAment

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello everyone, here's the story..........

My comp is set up for automatic updates so sometime last night my comp updated itself and restarted to install the updates. I woke up around 3 am to the sound of my computer running Chkdsk. The problem is my computer has something wrong with it (a whole other issue I would rather not discuss) and Chkdsk will run for 2 days if let to go. Anyway, I turned my computer off and turned it back on when I awoke a few hours later. Everything was fine until I tried to run Firefox and I was hit with "softokn3.dll is corrupt or damaged" "please try to re-install". I tried to re-install Firefox, but when I do I get the corrupted message again. Any ideas as to what my problem might be. I'm using Opera right now because I refuse to use IE and I want my Mozilla back! Thanks for your time guys.

Steve

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
softokn3.dll is a component of Thunderbird. See if you can DL it here and install it:

softokn3.dll

Or, unstall both FF and Thunderbird.

Ron

StevenAment

StevenAment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the help Ron.

Ok, I do not have Thunderbird installed on my computer and it wouldn't let me uninstall Firefox so I tried to manually remove it from my hd. As I'm deleting files it wouldn't let me delete other files in the Mozilla folder because they were corrupt and unreadable. I also noticed that I have some files in there which have .chk as their extension and are labeled as "Recovered File Fragments" Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Before you began to delete files you suspected belonged to Mozilla, you could have tried to uninstall FF in safe mode. Try a system restore to before the updates, then try reinstalling FF after you uninstall it via add/remove in the cntrol panel. Do you have your XP disk? You may need to run a system file check if auto updates inspired a impromptu checkdisk from XP.
Johanna

StevenAment

StevenAment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks Johanna,

I do not have a system restore point on my comp. Also, I was just trying to delete files from the Mozilla folder. Are these files being shared with other programs? As for the add/remove........I looked into that yet, neither Firefox or Thunderbird appear on that list. Should I just try the uninstall in safe mode or do you have another option since I clumsily tried to manually delete it?

Steve

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
You should find instructions HERE to remove and reinstall.

I would use CCleaner to remove left over files and check registry for issues, before installing a new FF.

StevenAment

StevenAment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks hary, I'll try that out and see what happens.