Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update (XPSP2) Problem

• Please log in to reply

forumq

forumq

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had to repair install, xp with my recovery disc, that went quite smoothly but I got a few errors while the repair (such as file... can't be found etc.). I knew that I would lose all of my OS updates, but now windows update doesn't want to work at all anymore, Im stuck with the standard (unupdated) version. Although I get notified that there are updates available, it is only "Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1", after you think it is installed, It always gives the message that the following update can't be installed. Ive also tried to manually download and install IE7 but that also doesn't want to work (same with MP11).
I also end up at the same spot when I use windows update from the browser.
Could someone help me out, with this one? Thx
Ask me if you need more details.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi forumq...

Click Start, then Run, type cmd and press "Enter". A command session window will open. Type net stop WuAuServ and press "Enter". Type exit and press "Enter".

Click Start, then Run, type %windir% and press "Enter". In the folder that opens, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SoftDistold.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd and press "Enter". A command session window will open. Type net start WuAuServ and press "Enter". Type exit and press "Enter".

Try the updates.

wannabe1

forumq

forumq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ye, did that, but sadly I still have the same prob exactly as before. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type cmd and press "Enter". Type each of the following commands at the prompt, pressing "Enter" after each :
  • regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
  • regsvr32 jscript.dll
  • regsvr32 vbscript.dll
  • regsvr32 msxml.dll
  • regsvr32 softpub.dll
  • regsvr32 wintrust.dll
  • regsvr32 initpki.dll
  • regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
  • exit
Try the updates again.

forumq

forumq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Did all of that and even rebooted afterwards but no change. Maybe its also worth saying that the second last command "regsvr32 initpki.dll" took the longest to start.