Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duel Core processing Questions...

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
One of my friends (whos a system builder) told me that with duel core processors you have to enable both for use. He said that the second processor would only come into play when the first one was too overloaded to handle the load. He also said that there was an option in windows where you could set up what programs ran on what processor so you can set the most demanding programs to separate processors to achieve the best speed possible. I was wondering if this was true and if so how would i do it? ive been looking around for a while now and I cant find a thing. My computer is slowing down where i run photoshop, image ready, itunes, vegas 5, etc at the same time (still more than my old computer! lol) and if this is true then I think it could really speed things up for me! If you want my system specs theyre all listed and if you need any additional info id be glad to give it!

Thanks alot in advance everyone!!

Edited by 11010110, 15 August 2007 - 11:42 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Basically, to get the best performance out of a dual core processor, you need to use software that is designed for this type of processor i.e multi threaded applications. Unfortunately, there's not many of these types of programs around so chances are, the software you are currently using is not making the best use of the dual core.

However, it is possible to do what your mates suggested by using a 3rd party utility that allows you to control the way the load is balance across the 2 cores. The link below is to a utility that does exactly that, and it's free!

http://www.mlin.net/SMPSeesaw.shtml

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks a bunch! now it doesnt specify that it works on Vista I assume it would right?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good point. It doesn't actually say but I would have thought so. I suggest you just try it and see, although it might be sensible to create a restore point before installing it just in case!