Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard disk faulty?

• Please log in to reply

cosmiqeddie

cosmiqeddie

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well this might be just a small problem anyway but it sort of annoyed me. I am using a seagate external 320gb HD, connected to my pc through USB port, but each and everytime i restart my pc, i couldnt locate my HD in MyComputer.
all i have to do is just simply off and on my ext HD again and it can be detected. but, is there any other way to save this "troublesome"? :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sometimes its the way externals end up working.....when you shutdown or restart your pc...you should turn the external drive off as soon as windows closes...then turn it back on once windows is all the way back up....i personally concider this best practice since #1...no reason for the drive to be on when the PC isn't (this mainly applies to shutting down the PC) and #2...it reduces the chances of a corruption in windows or the internal drives (or system) spreading to the external drive