Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC restarts unexpectedly and suddenly

• Please log in to reply

supernoober

supernoober

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Occasionally, when I'm using my PC, it suddenly and unexpectedly restarts. Theres no warning or error, it acts as if I pressed the reset button. How can I fix this? Is it result of too much multi-tasking?
Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
One can multi-task until the cows come home. It only takes one erroneous program falling over to reset the entire system.

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I only have 512 MB ram. Would adding more ram help?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Adding ram will not solve the problem. How often does it happen? Please be aware that there are lots of possible causes to such behaviour both on the software and hardware side. If it happens only occasionally and doesn't bother too much I would leave it as it is because we will probably get into a very long process of diagnosing a problem which is random and difficuly to spot.

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I guess it doesn't happen TOO often, but it's frustrating when it interrupts me in the middle of something such as a game.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please go to control panel, administrative tools, event viewer. Check under all the items (system, application etc.) if there are any errors which are related in time to restsrt event. Errors are marked in red. If there are such errors please double click and copy and paste the details.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I would argue that if its entirely random, its not happening frequently and there's no real fixed pattern to it, just don't worry about it. Windows is known just to blue screen when its doing nothing. If you do spot a pattern, then its time to worry.

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Please go to control panel, administrative tools, event viewer. Check under all the items (system, application etc.) if there are any errors which are related in time to restsrt event. Errors are marked in red. If there are such errors please double click and copy and paste the details.

Well I went there and under System, there are some errors on Aug 16 and Aug 15 which may be related. The source of all the errors are W32Time. Does that help?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
It would make solving the problem even longer if you don't -

Copy and paste the details.

Right click 'My Computer'.
Click 'properties'.
Click 'advanced' tab.
Startup and Recovery, click 'settings'.
UNcheck 'automatically restart'.

Post any errors and log details next time it happens.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
W32 is a service that is related to the synchronization of the computer's real time clock against an external clock. Please do the following:

1: Right click the clock shown at the corner of the task bar. Chose adjust Date/Time. Chose Internet Time and uncheck Automatically Syncronize With an Internet Server. Click Apply and OK.

2: Go back to Event Viewer. Mark each of the items on the menu, Click Action and chose Clear All Events. That will clear the Event Viewer log.

3: If the restart happens again go back immediately to the Event Viewer and report any error which is clearly related to the incidence.

4: Next time, when you report an error, please do as I asked: Double click on the error and copy and paste the details which will show up in your next answer.

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
The skeptic, you don't want me to copy and paste the errors I had around the time of the restart? I unchecked automatically restart and disabled automatic synchronization, but doesn't that just regulate the time?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What I want to do is to wipe the old logs in Event Viewer. That will help to make a correlation between the restart and the error message much easier. Just go to Event viewer, right-click on Application and click on Clear All Events. Repeat the procedure to System. Security and Antivirus. As soon as you get a restsrt go to the event viewer and report what errors you see there.

Have you disabled time synchronization like I asked in my previous post?

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yes I have diasbled automatic restart and automatic synchronization. Should I try to multi-task and run lots of things at once to test ?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you have the problem since you disabled synchronization? If yes, did you get any error message related to the occurance of the problem? If yes, double click the error, copy and paste in your next post what is written in Description box.

supernoober

supernoober

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Well I haven't had the problem yet but I also haven't been multi-tasking much.