Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Windows folders on one drive & partition wont boot

• Please log in to reply

cipher021

cipher021

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, so I'll start off this post with saying this shouldn't have happened to someone like me, who thought he was computer savy. That being said...so I've recently grown really tried of some of the minor problems I've had with Vista, and was wondering what options were available on the Vista CD. So I inserted the CD and it gave me the option to "Upgrade" or to a full install. I clicked Upgrade, thinking it would take me to options where I could maybe reinstall some drivers and repair my windows installation because I was assuming I may have some system file errors. Well, now I know not to do things with no sleep and around 4am, because within a few moments it was re-installing windows...on the same drive and partition I currently am running Windows. So after it was done with the installation and restarted, my computer got to the windows loading bar, restarted, and does that over and over again no matter what I do (select Safe Mode, etc). Even when I eventually found the option to get to the command prompt through the "repair" options on the Vista CD, I could view the two seperate Windows folders, but when I tried to delete the new Windows folder using the "del" command, it didn't work. Now my command prompt knowledge is a bit sketchy currently, so I may have missed something, but any help anybody has would be great. Please feel free to flame me as an idiot...I deserve it. Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I am aware that I could just make my master drive a slave on another system, access it, and delete the new Windows folder, but I wont have access to another system until tomorrow, and would like to know if there was anything I could do before then.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
You'll have to edit the Boot.INI file so that it chooses one or the other to boot into, currently I don't know exactly what it is you need to do... I'll do some research and get back to you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually....Vista doesn't use the boot.ini as a boot manager. It uses the BSD, which is a little more difficult to edit.

VistaBootPRO will allow you to remove the boot reference to remove the prompt. The extra Windows folder can be safely deleted.

wannabe1

cipher021

cipher021

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm just going to end up slaving it to my bro's XP comp and deleting the windows folder. Thanks again.

cipher021