Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

applications not opening in XP

• Please log in to reply

denverlynx

denverlynx

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Not sure where to start...so here it goes.

I had noticed about a week ago that when I tried to open my 'Help and Support' that nothing would happen. The cursor would just flash rapidly for a time. Anyway, I recently was trying to get into McAfee to run a virus scan and it wouldn't open either. I spoke to the McAfee support and they thought I had a virus and had me run this application via DOS command line. It didn't find any viruses. They said to uninstall the McAfee stuff and reinstall. But, when I try to uninstall the ap nothing happens. A window flashes up. But its so quick I can't read it. I can't download any of their updates. It fails at the same point. I even try to run the install CD and it blows away. I haven't been able to get any further with them because they keep sending me this web page and it blows away my support session with them.

I had found some adware (myWebSearch, Fun Products, etc). I think Spybot took care of them. I have run sfc /scannow, scandisk, and defrag. I'm just out of ideas and not sure what to search for as I don't receive any error messages. Early on I had suspected something wrong with my IE. It was running terribly slow and is starting to run poorly again.

I'm not sure if this is just one problem or multiple. The main problem I'd like to resolve is the help files and Mcafee. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Shawn

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would start with a visit to the malware forum...(see link in my signature).

If that does not help, come back. Does sound like you are still infected.