Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive shown as CD rom

• Please log in to reply

phil65

phil65

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Good day people, I hope someone here might have a fix for my problem. My computer shows my DVD drive as a CD rom drive. When I put a dvd in the drive I get a folder view of what is on the dvd, .vob files. I can right click on a file and choose play with power dvd and it will play. Auto play and Auto run don't work and DVD Movie is missing from the
properties. I have tried to some things like uninstall drives and reboot to reinstall but no help there. I have 3 drives and 2 are dvd but they show as cd rom.
Any thoughts or fixes out there??
Phil

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there phil65, welcome to Geeks to Go!

This does sound like an interesting problem. If you open "My Computer", right-click on the DVD drive listed there and select "Properties". Open the "Auto Play" tab. If you set up everything as you want it there, does it work?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can also try the auto run repair wizard

http://www.softwarep...xp-autorun.html

The drives should show as DVD Drives when empty, they change to CD Drives with a disc in

phil65

phil65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No that doesn't help, I have tried to do the properties for each drive (auto play, auto run) but nothing helps,
I have googled my problem and find little help, one guy said he had the same problem and had to reformat
to fix it. Mabe thats my only option but I hope not.
I tried the auto run repair wizard, no help

Edited by phil65, 18 August 2007 - 06:57 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked for firmware updates for the drives

phil65

phil65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried uninstall and reinstall drivers and looked for update drivers and nothing helps.

Salku69

Salku69

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yea im having the exact same problem... what is there else to do?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Try using the drives in another computer, this would help you pinpoint where the problem is.

phil65

phil65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The option of using the drives in another computer is not something I can do, none available.