Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop Assistance

• Please log in to reply

pharmacytech101

pharmacytech101

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I have been recently trying to figure out this remote assistance program with no such luck. Now I have read a few posts that state you can not use the feature on Windows XP Home. Is that so? I don't understand why they would include it if it wouldn't work. Also, I have Windows XP Media Center Version 2002 with Service Pak 2. Does anyone know if it is possible to work Remote assistance?

Oh yeah, the reason I am trying to figure this thing out is because I maintain my moms computer most of the time, and anytime she has problems she calls me. Since I live 30 minutes away and can't always run right over to see what is wrong, I would like to be able to use the remote assistance. Thanks for any help!!!

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
See this post:

http://www.geekstogo...me-t166340.html

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
remote assistance and remote desktop are two completely different animals

remote assistance will allow you to send an email (or msn message) that allows someone else to connect to your computer and see/control your screen

remote desktop allows you to initiate the connection to the other computer and take it over completely

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
My bad... quick read and saw "remote desktop"...

pharmacytech101

pharmacytech101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Ok so it is remote assistance that I have been referring to. I can't seem to get it to allow me to connect to my mom's computer or vice versa. Everything seems to run smoothly-I can send out the request or she can with windows messenger-but we can never connect. The computer sending the request will state it is waiting for connect, but the other user never sees anything happen then it times out (if I remember exactly since we haven't tried in a month or so.) Any suggestions? I read on a help screen somewhere that it was not actually installed on Windows XP and u had to go under control panel, add remove components, and run thru a list of things there. I did this on my computer, not sure if it did anything, and called my mom and tried to walk her thru these steps. It did not work for her, and I am going to try and go over and see if I can figure it out. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks for all the advice!