Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Computer Restarts

• Please log in to reply

ben88

ben88

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi guys I've been having problems with a Dell Dimension desktop computer that is now about five years old. Recently, we fixed it up with a newer graphics card, and ever since then we have been experiencing a strange problem. It involves the computer randomly turning off and restarting. It does indeed seem to be random, since it has happened in a variety of circumstances. It has restarted during browser use, game use, and even during standby/non-use. Upon restarting, a small message dialog box will pop up saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. Closing this box will often result in another one popping up with the same message.

I would appreciate any help you could give me, since I simply do not know what to do! Thanks a bunch in advance!

Ben

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
If it has been used for five years, it may be the cooling system problem.

Maxx_PL

Maxx_PL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
It may be cooling, but i think more propably it's not sufficient power supply. Test it with bigger PS (ex. 400-500W) and see if problem still exist.