Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem pasting from offline sources to online source

• Please log in to reply

Large

Large

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
The problem is this:

Not able to copy from notepad, word pad, etc. into my internet browser any more.

This has been a problem now for about 9 months, just have not gotten around to fixing.

It just seemed to not be able to be done one day, very strange.

I CAN copy from my internet browser (netscape) into a notepad, but cannot do the opposite, from notepad into the internet browser.

I have read a few threads, but did not come across this exact problem. I apologise if I've missed it, it is not my intention to ask a question that has been covered; hope this isn't the case, though if it is, will you point me in the right direction to the previous thread if it is in existance?

Can someone please give me a hand here?

Thanks.

Edited by Large, 16 August 2007 - 10:07 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
One can only paste at certain places in a web browser, you can't paste in the middle of a page unless there's a box or other elements intended for input there. One has never been able to paste in the middle of a static web page.
The most common place to paste stuff is the address bar (and the search banner for IE7) but aside from that, as a general rule you don't paste into a browser.

Large

Large

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well duh! :blink:

Thank you for reading and for the reply, Neil, anyhow.

For clarification: I am not able to paste into the addy bar, nor am I able to paste into forum text boxes, which is my main concern. At one time, this was no problem, it worked like normal. I could paste form notepad into a forum text reply box. No more.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? :whistling:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pasting into the address bar is problematic in any browser because its so easy to insert a blank line which is also copied into the address bar and gives the impression there's nothing to paste.

Which version of Netscape is it?

Large

Large

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for bumping the topic; you guys move threads through here faster than a master seamstress! :) I was almost on page two within a ... 12 hour period?!

Netscape version 8.1 -- based on firefox. I've always enjoyed full functionality of the browser before. Never before was there a problem pasting from an offline text document (namely notepad) into a forum text box.

Now, I can paste from a forum into notepad. I have been puzzled at this too: Since it works in reverse, why not both ways? I do admit, that I am not completely informed on the full scientific method of the copy/paste function. I do understand that when copy is pushed, it is automatically put into the clipboard, and then upon hitting paste in another window or document, the text will be transferd from that clipboard. Is this about right?

:whistling:

Now, I have to keep in mind the fact that I CAN paste from notepad to word, etc. But not to a forum text box. :help:

:blink:

:help:

Thanks,

Large

Large

Large

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It says in a stickied post here at these forums NOT to bump a topic. I did read this rule, and am aware I am breaking it. I don't mean to be intrusive or any of the above.... I hope I am not being rude, but just post to say, I am still having this problem. Are there ANY suggestions that some may give? I would be very greatful if someone here had an answer, or if someone here had even a guess, or a similar experience to share.

Reminder: The issue is not being able to paste form notepad or any offline word doc onto my internet browser. Example: A text box such as this. This is causing me many problems with my writing.

It would be very interesting for me to find out why this is, and to get to the bottom of this seemingly simple problem....

Thanks,

-Large

Edited by Large, 23 September 2007 - 04:59 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you don't have any response to your thread for three days, you can post in the Waiting Room and a staff member will help you shortly.

EDIT: Sorry, the link is in my signature.

Been waiting with no reply for three days? Read this.

Edited by FPVDriF6, 23 September 2007 - 06:52 AM.

Large

Large

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Will try that here in a few days then.

Thanks for the helpful suggest,

:)

-Large

Edited by Large, 23 September 2007 - 11:15 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Sorry for the long wait on reply.

Does copy and paste work fine in Internet Explorer?

~Tuxmaster

Large

Large

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No problem. :)

I will have to get back to you on that after I look, am right on my way out the door.

With intent to return,
-Large

Large

Large

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok then, took me long enough.

YES, it does work fine in IE. I am suprised that it did, and that I never tried. I guess I abandoned IE. Thanks tuxmaster, as for the final results, not totally finished messing with this myself yet. At least this will allow me to get offline material online.

So then, it must be a problem with netscape, not my windows. Sound about right? Perhaps a simple update somewhere in netscape will fix this problem. Or something else?

I will report my findings on how this issue becomes resolved; and would very much appreciate other comments.

Thanks once again for your forums help.

-Large

Edited by Large, 25 October 2007 - 12:34 AM.