Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What should I use to backup my data?

• Please log in to reply

TallyTalk

TallyTalk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello All,

I was wondering what you all would recommend for backing up, storing data (pics and word docs. mainly). I currently use flash drives, but I would like everything to be on one device that is secure and reliable. I have about 6GB-8GB of data currently, but that will increase and time goes on. Should I use flash drives, external hard drives, or something else? Any recommendations would be appreciated!!

Thank you very much,

Tally

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
lots of choice here but perfer using the cheapest way possible, in that a lot of old harddrive a just lying around unused because of their size being small people no longer use them

first the only thing I need to buy is an external harddrive caddie which costs peanuts, then I place the harddrive in and format it into NTFS or fat32 depending on what computer it will work with, lastly I make sure the I never backup stuff solely, instead I cross backup the same stuff between two drives, since no matter what one uses or even buys all harddrives can die in an instant taking ones data with it,

pros and cons, well as you can see it is free, it is all cross backed up so it is safe(since two drive will not die at once) and being unlimited it is easy to give away to someone else who has an external harddrive caddie too, great if one has large files like films and the like which don't need to kept since the harddrive is reusable for as long as it lives, however the problem with this idea is that it is limited to the size of what one can find though even then that size is growing with the general advancement of the the computer hardware

apart from the above the surest thing is burning to CDs or DVDs but the problem here is that they are set once burnt so the price builds up, they don't have the capacity of harddrives and the burning process takes more time than just copying to a harddrive, thanks

Edited by fleamailman, 17 August 2007 - 02:33 PM.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I prefer to use 3rd party backup software like True Image. I have backups of all my music and photos and store it on dvds. I make scheduled backups of my work files every week. It takes less space then original files.

Edited by sharlpero, 18 August 2007 - 08:55 AM.

TallyTalk

TallyTalk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks for the help! I will look into those ideas. Can anyone recommend any good external hard drives.

Thank you

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I recommend what fleamailman suggested, to buy a hard drive caddie and a separate hard drive, then just put them together yourself. You could order something like this from newegg:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817171019
I have this exact one, it's a little more expensive but it works so good. I'm surprised at some of the reviews there, sounds like one person got two faulty ones in a row, very bad luck, but CoolerMaster still is an excellent brand. I just wanted to put this out there for you...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817193029
Here's one for free, the rebate will pay you back the whole price of the product. I don't know what you can expect for nothing, but still, it's nothing...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152085
And a hard drive, I'm not sure how big you want, but just choose. I've chosen a 400GB for you - that should hold heaps of data no problems.

And don't forget, when backing up your data - do it everywhere! Make backups on flash drive, dvd's, and your external hard drive. And then make backups of your backups!

TallyTalk

TallyTalk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you everyone!! I've checked out your suggestions.

I've decided to focus on external hard drives, because of the mass amount of music and pictures I have. Something in the 200-500 GB range.

Can anyone recommend any good brands?

Thanks,

T