Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Internet Service?

• Please log in to reply

MAAC1

MAAC1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, I recently purchased a Toshiba laptop with some custom specs, and I realize that I didn't even figure out the methodology of wireless internet service for a laptop.

1. Do I get service from a wireless internet company and use a router?
2. Do I have to get like Verizon Fios for it?
3. Or will I have to get my phone on the web, and plug it in through a USB cable?

Please, if anyone can help, it would be much obliged.

Also,
4. I heard that with 512MB of RAM, Vista is SLOOOOOOW. I upgraded to 1024MB of RAM, will this be sufficient?

Sorry to ask so many questions at once. Thanks for any help I can get.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) You can use normal ADSL/DSL cable internet service (down the phone line or down the cable) through a wireless router and go wireless from that.

2) Can't comment.

3) Please clarify. What do you mean by "get my phone on the web and plug it in"?

4) Depends what you're doing. 2048Mb of RAM seems to be a sweet point.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Verizon is very good, and they have excellent phone support. And they don't put any 'trash' on your machine.

If your machine has 'wiFi', you can go to someplace, coffee shop, &c, that has on line service and get on line that way. If you are going to use it at home, I suggest Verizon.