Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla FireFox Issue.

• Please log in to reply

CompKid416

CompKid416

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi folks. I have a current issue with Mozilla FireFox. Don't get me wrong, there's no hate on it (best browser), but there's this one issue that makes me angry:

When I use firefox.exe, it "hangs" I suppose. Basically, when I X out of it, it doesn't leave the Task Manager until 10-12 seconds afterwards. Also, even if I only have one tab, it still kinda lags. Like if I click on something, sometimes it'll just "freeze" for like 2 seconds or so.

However, if I change to firefox3.exe, everything runs perfectly. Like there's no hangs, no temporary freezing while browsing, nothing. However, there's this issue of the update being in the way. What happens is that it asks me to update, I say yes, and then it stalls out. (Now, of course, most likely it's due to the fact that the browser is called firefox3.exe, which I understand). However, if I hit Help --> About Mozilla FireFox, it does look like my browser was upgraded, although maybe I'm just wrong, since I assumed that going to "About Mozilla FireFox" showed you what version you have. I'm getting annoyed because it ALWAYS asks me to update, and also I'm not really sure if I have 2.0.0.6, since whenever I change to firefox3.exe, it says that I upgraded to 2.0.0.3. =/.

Now, is there a particular reason why "firefox.exe" kinda hangs? I asked the fine people here at GeekstoGo to check out my computer, and they said no malware was present. Now I'm hoping maybe you guys can find the issue.

(And uninstalling / reinstalling doesn't work)

Thanks guys.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Problems with Firefox can be caused either by extensions or by a problem with the user profile associated with Firefox.
On the Start Menu is a shortcut for Firefox which takes it into Safe Mode - a version with no extensions, no skins and no frills. Try surfing with that.

Alternatively make a new profile and see what happens:
http://www.borngeek....ofile-tutorial/

CompKid416

CompKid416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hmm, Neil.

I make a new profile and it seems to also hang a little bit when closing. A little bit faster though. I'd say on my default profile, it takes about 7-8 seconds to leave the Task Mgr fully if using firefox.exe. On my test profile, it says that it'd probably take 3-5 seconds.

Safe Mode takes about the same time as the test profile.