Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Closing web pages and all close

• Please log in to reply

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi,
I just installed a new hard drive on my computer. I am running Windows XP Home. I first started using IE but switched to Firefox but it is doing it too.
When I am on a web page and I let it load, I pull up another web page. When I am finished I close one of the web pages but it takes away all the web pages not just the one I am done with.

Any idea what the deal is?

Thanks,
Samantha

Advertisements

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Samantha,

first are going to need some more information about the browser you use * EI and FireFox. if you go to the "help" and then "about internet explorer" it should give you the version number. same for firefox.

Also are you opening new windows or new tabs in the browser you are using? or does that make no difference? (in internet explorer 7 open a new window using "ctrl+n" or a new tab using "ctrl+t"

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok, I am confused here to bare with me....lol

I was using IE 6 I know for sure.

I then switched today to Firefox 2.0.0.6

This is where I am confused so I will just tell you what I do.

While waiting say on this page here, I will go to start and then click on IE or Firefox. Type in a webpage, view it then click the x. When I do that that is when it closes but closes all open pages I have up.

Does that make sense? I have never had this problem before and have used both before.

Thanks,
Samantha

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Aside from the problem you are having with FF and IE, why do you open a new window and not use a new tab to view more then one web page. Each multiple window uses more resources. I'm rather interested in this problem because I use FF continuously every day. Just wondering if there are Security settings in another app that affects both browsers so that all windows are closed if one is.

Ron

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well because I didn't know you could do it any other way, care to share?
Samantha

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
LOL, of course! In Firefox, go to Tools and select Options. Click the Tab tab. Check open in "a new tab" under "New pages should be opened in:". I have all the other boxes checked except for "Always show the tab bar". You can check this one or not. If you want to use the mouse to open a new tab instead of the keyboard keys, right-click on your FF tool bar and select Customize. Drag the "Open a new tab" icon to the Tool Bar and place it where you want it. I have mine just to the left of the Address Window.

There is some customizing for IE 7, but I didn't see any new tab icons for the Tool Bar.

Ron

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
lol, I knew how to use the FF tabs, I guess because they were already set that way....lol

I have IE 6 I look through it but could not find nothing like it.

I realized after I started using FF again that I needed to close the tabs and not the x, but it still doing it on IE.

Samantha

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Since I don't have IE 6, I can't try to duplicate the same conditions. I would ask that you think about installing IE 7.0 as it does have tab browsing. A lot of people don't like IE 7 and have problem uninstalling it and returning to IE 6.0. I would suggest making a Restore Point just prior to downloading and installing IE 7 should you decide to try it. At least, you should be able to rollback to IE 6 using the Restore Point.

Ron

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well, I have tried everything, even repair and it won't work. Can I uninstall IE 6 or not? Firefox is going great so far.
Samantha

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just keep IE 6 if you don't plan to use it. It will be require for some web sites, unless you wish to install the Firefox extension IE Tab, so you can switch to an IE engine for viewing those web pages that require IE. You can uninstall IE 6 if you wish. If it is not listed in the normal Add/Remove Programs, click on the Add/Remove Windows Components at left of Add/Remove Programs window and let it populate. Scroll for IE 6 and uncheck box for it. Click OK button.

Ron