Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

nyboy42

nyboy42

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I currently have a dell PC that came with a 250GB Western Digital SATA 2 HD with Windows XP. i want to REPLACE it with a 500GB, how would i go about doing that in terms of copying all my files and the operating system. Is there a way where i can just easily swap all the files from one hard drive to another and then just replace it? thank you very much.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could "image" the drive with something like norton ghost or acronis true image and copy over to the other drive

or you could just put the 500 GB drive in as a slave and then you'd have 750 GB of total storage

nyboy42

nyboy42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i would like to image the drive. Could you please explain what that exactly means and what it entails? what is the easiest way to do it? would i have to add the 500GB hard drive to my other SATA port in order to copy?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

i would like to image the drive. Could you please explain what that exactly means and what it entails? what is the easiest way to do it? would i have to add the 500GB hard drive to my other SATA port in order to copy?

yes you would have to do that

imaging is when you make an exact copy of one drive and copy it over to another drive (the only way to copy your OS to a new drive)...basically you'd put the new drive in the machine with the old drive still in there...then you'd run the imaging software and follow their instructions for imaging (or "ghosting") one drive to the other

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I would recommend you Migrate Easy from Acronis. There is a small app wich allows to clone your hd to a bigger one. Also you can change the size of partitions.