Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP wont play any video files

• Please log in to reply

syb388

syb388

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hello,
until recently WMP played everything fine, now when opening a video file (.avi, .mpeg) its says acquiring codec.. codec acquired and then only plays the sound but no video. I think this may have happened after using atf or ccleaner, not sure though. I have other media players like real player and quicktime and none of them play video files either, only VLC player does but the playback isnt perfect. Now I know I need some codecs but am hesitant to download them from some unknown site, so if somebody can point me in the right direction, I would be ever grateful- thanks

Edited by syb388, 17 August 2007 - 12:49 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try this link.

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
thanks, I installed the divx codec, everything I tried so far works.

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
thanks, I installed the divx codec, everything I tried so far works.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Large

Large

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I hope it is not out of line or off-topic for me to express my distaste for either WMP or Realplayer here, but I would like to do so.

I have had several problems with each. Now, winamp on the other hand, has so far been a reliable media player, have had no problems with it. Having all my media in one place feels so much better! :blink: Took a while though, but the set up and usability of win amp beats either of the other two in my experience. I hate to see folks using Realplayer anyway. That program would eat my music by the album, and I'd have to restore the library at least a couple times a week.

Just look at how cool WinAmp can look!

Posted Image

:whistling:

Anyone interested could follow this link here to find more info or d/l:

Win Amp

Edited by Large, 18 August 2007 - 01:41 AM.