Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I was using my pc when all of a sudden it turned to the blue screen (it says it has a hardware problem) and when i restarted it wouldnt boot up, it says: "BOOTMGR is missing". please what could my problem be, can you help me ASAP, I tried formating it but it turns into the blue screen again, PLEASEEEEE HELP MEEEEE, I NEEEDDD MY COMPUTERRRR, I BEGG YOU, thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi BSNCAPBYY...

Have you tried "Last known good configuration" from the Advanced Startup Options? Tap the F8 key during the boot to open the advanced options and use the arrow keys to select that option.

wannabe1

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Yes I have used the "Last known good configuration" and still nothing. The only way I can access the safe mode option is having a backup disk inserted, if not it wont let me the error: "BOOTMGR is missing" pops up.

Thanks for helping me. Keep on going I now you can do it.

Edited by BSNCAPBYY, 18 August 2007 - 09:28 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay...took a couple days off to nurse a back injury.

Do you have an XP installation cd? Is this a brand name machine? If it is, what's the make and model number?

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Do you have an XP installation cd?
Yes I do. I have the original XP(it came with the pc) cd and a Original Vista(vista was installed when i haved the problem), I rather have vista but if we cant I will put xp. Remember, when I tried to format the pc the blue screen came to disrupt the process.

Is this a brand name machine?
Yes, its a emachine.

If it is, what's the make and model number?
I think the modeling number is: T2958

Hope your injury gets better!!! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry again, BSNCAPBYY...the doc put me on some meds that, basically, put me out of commission.

Have you got any OS installed at all? Or are we dealing with an unformatted drive?

Have you tried to boot using either cd?

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Have you got any OS installed at all? Or are we dealing with an unformatted drive?
I had Vista installed before the problem started.

Have you tried to boot using either cd?
Yes, I have several times with the xp it starts to format the pc and it says there are errors and the blue screen pops up and the vista doesnt even let me go to the menu to format it when the blue screen pops up, what could it be.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Starting to sound like the HDD is dying or dead.

RAM can also cause these issues, though. Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and create a bootable disk as outlined on the download page. Boot the machine using this disk and let it run for at least an hour. Any errors or failures will indicate a bad stick of RAM.

Are there any number codes on the blue screen error?

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Are there any number codes on the blue screen error?
Yes I think it was 0x00000050, something about page fault and i also remember "win32k.sys".

I am running the program yout told me to use. Could you tell what to do when the test finishes?

Edited by BSNCAPBYY, 24 August 2007 - 03:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The test will run until you stop it or shut the machine off. Did you see any failures?

The error you reported usually indicates a hardware problem.

Advertisements

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Did you see any failures?

It always said failed, then i went to see the problem and it said i had 18000000+ errors and I think i said something about bank dimm0 - slot J6G1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have more than one stick of RAM installed? If you do, remove one and run the test again...if you see failures, try the other stick.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Do you have more than one stick of RAM installed?

Could you find a way to tell me where that is? I have an idea and if its where i think it is, there is only one stick, but could you help me so i can be sure?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll need to open the case (left side as viewed from the front) and look for the installed modules. They should be located in a series of long slots to the right of the processor.

You're machine typically ships with 512MB of memory, but the specs don't state whether there is one or two modules installed.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
There is only 1, there was two slots, so i changed it to the other and nothing, now what?