Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Do you know if the motherboard has ever been changed out in that machine?
No because I bought this machine and I never had to fixed it has all original parts, I bought it in sams.

Please give me a link to the RAM you bought.
http://www.spartante...D...28X64&m1=pg

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Apparently the eMachines website is down. I'd like to check the specs on your machine again before we go any further. It looks like you have purchased high density ram...this won't be compatible if you are running on an intel chipset. The solution may be to exchange that module for a low density module of the same type. I want to check to be sure, though...and will do so when their site decides to load for me.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll bet that's what the problem is...your machine IS running an intel chipst. You need This Memory Module. Same specs, just low density.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
What do I do with the ram that I bought. Did I lose $60? please explain to me what to do? I dont have that much money.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should be able to exchange it for the correct RAM.

Here is their RMA (returns) page. Their customer support phone number is at the top of the page.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Ok but, do they sell the same ram?(the webpage you gave me was not the same page) could you look it up for me in spartans.com? Are you sure my pc recognizces 1gb of ram in one slot or 512mb in one and 512 in the other one?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is the RAM you have: High Density RAM

This is the RAM you need: Low Density RAM

The page the low density ram is on is the one you are directed to by clicking the link to low density ram on the spartantech page the high density ram is on. I'm assuming that the two domains must be associated. Contact their customer service people and ask them the procedure to get the correct ram module from them. See if they can substitute two 512 sticks for the one 1024...though it shouldn't matter to the board whether the 1 GB it is capable of using is in one socket or two.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Are you 100% sure its the ram? Could it be a hardrive problem? could we find a way to know this?

Edited by BSNCAPBYY, 12 September 2007 - 05:31 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Here's what it says at the top of the page for the RAM module you purchased.

1024MB (1GB) MEMORY PC2100 (266MHZ BUS) 1024MB (1GB) DDR 128X64 (184PIN). MADE WITH 128X4 CHIPS. THESE ARE HIGH DENSITY MODULES, MAKE CERTAIN THAT YOUR MOTHERBOARD CAN USE. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR INTEL CHIPSET OR ASUS MOTHERBOARDS. PLEASE SEE OUR PART NUMBER MDD266-128X64LD FOR THE LOW DENSITY VERSION (TYPICALLY THESE ARE MORE COMPATIBLE) LIFETIME WARRANTY

Clicking on the part number link takes you to the low density ram described as "Our part number MDD266-128X64LD" and is the link I gave you.

These are your system specs as listed on the eMachines website:

Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
CPU: Intel® Celeron® D 330 Processor
Operates at 2.66GHz
256KB L2 cache & 533MHz FSB
Chipset: Intel® 845GV chipset
Memory: 512MB DDR (PC 2100)
Expandable to 1GB

Your old module was detected and reported correctly at 512MB, but it won't pass the diagnostics. In the same slot, the new module is reported incorrectly at 32MG...though it passes the diagnostics. To me, that spells incompatible ram. This is the information I used to form my opinion...what does it say to you?

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I know what you say is true, what I am wanting to say is that, what if i buy the new compatible ram and when i install it, the error is still present, thats what i ment I just want to know if the ram is the problem and not the hard drive, so i can feel 100% sure that i am not losing money buying the new ram and then having to buy the hardrive or hope not, another equipment

Edited by BSNCAPBYY, 12 September 2007 - 07:33 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm not sure what kind of HDD your machine shipped with, but replacement from the website is a Maxtor (Seagate). Download SeaTools (DOS) and create the disk (floppy or cd). You'll have to register and accept their agreement for the download...an e-mail is all that's required for registration.

I'd run this with the old ram installed first...I don't know that it will run on the new module with only 32MB available, but it might. If this will run on the ram you have, it will tell you if the drive is good...providing your HDD is a Maxtor or Seagate drive.

Still leaning toward the new stick as being incompatible, though.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I was looking at the RMA and I saw this: "Item to be returned for exchange for a different product (Please include the part number you would like this replaced with)". Could you please look at Spartans page a look for the ram that I need? I want you to do this since you know which the correct one is. Before you start looking please look for the cheapest one so I don’t have to spend more money. The ram that I bought was $45(including shipping it went up to $61), sorry for the troubles. I am running the Seagate and having it tested, If you need me do so something special with this DOS, please tell, thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Use MDD266-128X64LD as the part number you want it replaced with...they say it's their part number. The module in the link I gave you is the only low density ram they (spartantech.com) have for your machine. I may be able to find some on another site, but then you'd be in a refund situation...which can sometimes take a while.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Please look at this page: http://www.crucial.c...spx?model=T2958

I thinki it says it doesnt support 1gb in one slot, is this ture?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would trust that to be true.

Funny...there's absolutely nothing about this limitation on the eMachines site. :whistling:

I'll have another look around the spartantech site.