Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop advice

• Please log in to reply

Cailin

Cailin

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi!

My Dell has officially died and as a college student a laptop is sort of a requirement. Since the Dell was obviously a bad idea (stupid thing didn't make it two years before its death) I was hoping for some advice on what laptops are good. Unfortunately my budget cap is about $1,000. I don't need anything fancy, just something reliable that will do the typical school stuff. I am not really into gaming or graphics.

Can anyone recommend what laptops are good and dependable? Or even tell me which ones to stay away from? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I would suggest Lenovo (Home branch of IBM) and try them out. They have good rating for laptop reliability as well as Technical Support. They aren't the shiniest laptops, but they should be able to get the job done well.

I'm very careful with who I choose... I'm not an HP or Compaq person, nor a Dell laptop person... I like Dell desktops however... I have a Gateway laptop and so far, so good, but it's under a year so it's a little soon to tell.

Besides Lenovo, I think Toshiba laptops are good. You occasionally hear of overheating issues, but with the new models, you never really know. I have NEVER heard anything bad about Lenovo however.

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi,

have owned a Toshiba Satellite Pro for 4yrs and think they are fantastic,have had no problems since i bought it and is still running great.

Went online today and bought another for my daughter starting back to college and Toshiba are doing some good deals,take a look at these.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

Edited by Seamey. T, 18 August 2007 - 03:40 PM.