Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Linksys Wireless-B USB connectivity problem

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
I use a linksys wireless-B USB network adapter ver 4.0 for my internet connection.
Well when im on my Toshiba laptop everything is fine but when i plug the linksys wireless-b USB network adapter into my HP laptop it wont connect.Everything is the same as when Im on the Toshiba,the laptops in the same spot as the toshiba,the network adapter is in the same spot & from the HP I still pick up the same wireless networks as when i use the Toshiba.Yet when i click on the same network i use on the Toshiba using my HP laptop the little pop up window pops up & says it's waiting to connect.And i watch the little bar scroll accross over and over,then the pop up box eventually disappears,but it never connects.
I was advised to run WinSockXP Fix,which I did & still have the same problem. And everything looks like theres no problem when I check the HP's device manager.
My HP used to work with the linksys adapter but I had to have the power socket repaired.
This is driving me crazy & ive been trying to get my HP online for days!!So here I am, yet again, asking Geeks To Go for help. Ive always trusted Geeks To Go because ive been helped through many problems here & the people here are GREAT!Any advice would be appreciated!
Please & Thank You!

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello saraveza408,

On your "Toshiba laptop" where everything is working fine, can you navigate to the "View available Wireless networks" screen and on theNetwork that you are connecting to what does it say in the section that i underlined in this screenshot.

1.JPG

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
the network i connect to is called "default"
& the underlined part says "unsecured wireless network"

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Stay with "spacecowboy" on this one, we could use some help REAL BAD! But.... When you "view availible networks" then click "connect" on the one you highlight, there should be a popup box that warns that "it is an unsecured network" on the bottom of that box is the main button "connect anyway" but a half inch above that is a small check box that says something like "allow this computer to connect to unsecured networks"... You have to put a check in that box before you press the "connect anyway" button. it did work with the linksys after the MOBO transplant, then sat around for awhile and apparently stopped working after doing last minute updates before shipping (updates were done on hardwire & linksys wasn't checked before returning), also caught some kind of bug during updates that slowed it down and made a few programs not open ie "defrag", googled the codes and fixed the "defrag", Then WAM-BAM shipped it out next morning, so relieved the "defrag" bug was gone that the linksys was not checked again. And now the driver for the linksys is also available on "microsoft updates" and auto-installs if plugged into hardwire when you connect the Linksys for the first time without a previous installed driver, finishes and takes you to that popup. I realize hardwire is not accessable so "Spacecowboy" would be greatly appreciated by "crunch" too. :whistling: these linksys USB version 4 will run at 54mbps and a much farther range than internals.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Stay with "spacecowboy" on this one, we could use some help REAL BAD! But.... When you "view availible networks" then click "connect" on the one you highlight, there should be a popup box that warns that "it is an unsecured network" on the bottom of that box is the main button "connect anyway" but a half inch above that is a small check box that says something like "allow this computer to connect to unsecured networks"... You have to put a check in that box before you press the "connect anyway" button. it did work with the linksys after the MOBO transplant, then sat around for awhile and apparently stopped working after doing last minute updates before shipping (updates were done on hardwire & linksys wasn't checked before returning), also caught some kind of bug during updates that slowed it down and made a few programs not open ie "defrag", googled the codes and fixed the "defrag", Then WAM-BAM shipped it out next morning, so relieved the "defrag" bug was gone that the linksys was not checked again. And now the driver for the linksys is also available on "microsoft updates" and auto-installs if plugged into hardwire when you connect the Linksys for the first time without a previous installed driver, finishes and takes you to that popup. I realize hardwire is not accessable so "Spacecowboy" would be greatly appreciated by "crunch" too. :whistling: these linksys USB version 4 will run at 54mbps and a much farther range than internals.

i mailed this HP to crunch awhile back for sum repair so he pry knows this HP better than my novice butt does!

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
well i got the HP online! See what happened is the USB cord that i got with the Linksys wireless-B USB Network Adapter was only 4 ft long,so a friend had made me like a 20 ft USB cord to use.The 20 ft USB works fine w/the Toshiba.But just to see what happened I took my HP outside & connected the 4ft USB cord & BAM! Just like that,I got online! The funny thing is I didnt even have to go "view wireless networks" & all that.As soon as i connected it the little computer icon in the system tray showed it was aquiring the network address,then it connected,pretty fast too.

so now the new problem is how do i make it work w/the 20 ft USB cord?
4ft is just no where near as long as i need.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Can someone tell us the maximum length for a USB cable? Years ago in building HAM radios and CBs the antenna to radio wire had to be cut in length proportionate to the size of signal wavelength. The HAM radio was 6 meters and required sizes in increments of 6 meters, again CBs were very sensitive to prevent what was called "SWR" standing wave ratio. Fine tuning to best send and recieve a signal required trimming the antenna's coax to exact fractions of the wavelength. Does anyone know if this is true for USB cables from a wireless reciever? :whistling: If so does anyone know how to determine the length. Wireless what is 802.11 frequency? What part of it is 2.4MHz frequency? Is one wavelength and one frequency? Which is used to determine wavelength? Could illiminate this most easily if there is a device for amplifying a USB signal. Please give use some suggestions or leads where to find out. We are trying to get the wireless reciever above frequency interfering walls with only partial success so far.