Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq PC Won't Start

• Please log in to reply

datrader

datrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks, I didn't try the video card because I don't have an extra video card. Since this is a spare computer, the easiest thing was to remove the floppy and cd-rom -- that was what i did. maybe i should get a video card before i go further. Since the fan is kind of loud, I am not able to hear hard drive spin even if it does. If i ever get this pc work again, i will replace this fan, the fan in my Dell PC is a lot quiter. The key board does have lights for num lock, cap lock and scroll lock. Since i did not use any of the feature so the lights were not on. I just realized i could hit one of those buttons to see if key board works. I will keep you guys posted on what happened to this pc.

Advertisements

datrader

datrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
by the way, this is a Compaq 5wv280. We have another post for a HP a300y using the same ID. They are two different computers -- both were bought under HP employee purchase program. I've been very happy with the Dell I am using now, it seems the replacement for the HP is going to be a Dell too.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Guys,

sorry so late getting back, it was proably me who suggested it might not be the video card I didn't mean to totally rule that out I just thought before he purchased one we should look at some other things and also I was not sure what to recommend he purchase. I was thinking as Samm was that its something in the agp bus and if he purchase a agp video card that would solve nothing.

At this point I would follow Samm's advice on checking the psu then if that checks out ok, on one hand I would try a pci video card, if its just a spare computer and not used for any intense gaming a pci card would be ok but if that works then we will never really no if it was the agp bus or bad video card, if it don't work what would you do with a pci video card other than keep it around for situations such as this.

Rick

datrader

datrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks guys, I will check power supply, but I have hard time following the quote from Samm,

"Firstly, I would check the psu (or try another one if you have a spare). Disconnect every thing from the psu (motherboard & drive connectors etc). Reconnect mains cable & one CDROM drive (with its ribbon cable disconnected) to the PSU. Look at the 20 pin atx connector & locate the ps-on pin. This is always pin 14 (so 4 pins in from one end) & often its on the green wire. Bend a paper clip into a U shape, & insert one end up into the ps-on pin & the other end into either one of the black (Ground) pins nest to the green. This should turn the PSU on."

Do I do this with power cord plugged in the outlet or not? "Reconnect mains cable" -- what is main cable, is it the power cord?

Thanks,
Michael

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry for being unclear.

Yes, by mains cable, I mean the power cord that connects the psu to the wall socket.

Unplug this before removing the ALL internal power connections, including ones to the motherboard & drives etc.

Reconnect the power to one of the CDROM drives but remove the CDROM drives IDE cable instead.

Then reconnect the psu to the wall socket. Turn the wall socket on and also turn on the on/off switch on rear of psu itself (if it has one)

Then carry out rest of my instructions.
Let me know if you have any other queries regarding this as I don't want you to risk causing harm to yourself or your system!

datrader

datrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks, I will do. As I was reading your reply, I remembered a very unique 'feature' of this PC: every time I plug the power cord to wall socket, the PC turns itself on without me pressing the power on button. If I do a normal shut down from window, then the PC will remain off with power cord connected to wall socket. If then I disconnect the pwer cord from wall socket, then plug it in wall socket, without pressing power on, the PC will turn itself on. Does it offer any clue on maybe there is somet6hing wrong with psu?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Not really, I've come across quite few systems that do that. I used to know what caused it but can't actually remember at the moment!

datrader

datrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
" From: <biggippy@hotmail.com>

Hello,

I have the exact same problem with the same compaq model. I replaced
the video card and same [bleep]. I was wondering if you ever found the
source of the problem. I saw suggestions that it might be the psu. if
you've made any progress please share. thanks.

paul
"

I got this email today. Yes, I would like to share. Thanks for letting me know that video card is not the problem. I have not tried the suggestions here, I should. I will post it here if I do anything to that computer or if I find anything useful. I'm pretty sure we are not the only two compaq users who are having this problem. I hope other compaq users will post here too. Since my Dell is very reliable, I use my Dell most of the time.

datrader

datrader

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry that it took me a long while to get back. I followed Samm's instruction, disconnected all power cord, all cable connectors, then connected one CD-rom power connector, connected the green and black next to green wire using a u shaped paper clip. Then I connected the main power cord. Here is what happened:

I heard fan, and the light of the cd-rom was blinking a few times. I push the drive, it opens, then I closed it. What else am I suppose to look for?

Does it mean PSU is ok?

thanks .

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
One of my computers is a Compaq. I discovered early on that when it would not boot with video display, I had to re-seat the video card. It would then work fine.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I heard fan, and the light of the cd-rom was blinking a few times.  I push the drive, it opens, then I closed it.  What else am I suppose to look for?

Does it mean PSU is ok?

thanks .

View Post

It means the PSU isn't dead. It doesn't necessarily mean that the PSU is working well enough to be used.
The next stage is to test the output voltages with a multimeter or voltmeter. The probes are inserted the same way as the paper clip. Make sure the black (negative) probe is always connected to a black wire/pin. The red probe can then be used to test the different outputs from the individual pins.
Make sure the multimeter is set to the DC Voltage Range at a scale that is the closest one above 5V (normally 20V on most meters).

The pins & their voltages are as follows (NB pin 1 on the atx connector is usually a different shape - ie square instead of round). Starting at pin 1, the count continues down that row of pins to 10, then 11 is located next to pin 1 and so on. The [ ] denotes where the clip on the side of the connector is located in relation to the pins)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
[ ]

The voltages should read :
pin colour voltage
1 orange +3.3V
2 orange +3.3v
4 red +5V
6 red +5V
8 grey +5v or +3.3V
9 purple +5v
10 yellow +12v
11 orange +3.3V
12 blue -12V
18 white -5V
19 red +5v
20 red +5v

NB A voltage of above 1V on the grey (pin 8) wire should be enough to power the system on. This is the PowerGood pin - it is detected by the motherboard when you press the soft power button, if it falls below about 1V, the system won't power up & remains in standby.

Archster

Archster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

I have this same problem. I have checked my PSU, and fully replaced it so i know it isn't this. A quick workaround that i have discovered while getting frustrated with the system was that when it incorrectly starts turn the PSU off using its On/Off switch (On the back of the PC), Then turn it on again. It seems to work.
I am starting to suspect that it may be something that has come loose on my motherboard, but who knows?

Hope this helps,
Archie

JoeyM

JoeyM

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I've been following this thread with great interest, since I seem to have the exact same problem, but I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 P4 (so it can happen to Dell as well ;( ). Samm, I've followed all your instructions and measured the voltage with a multimeter on all pins, and the values are ok. My problem is the same, i.e the PC will not boot. When plugged into the wall socket, nothing happens (no beeps), except that a light on the motherboard goes on.

When I unplugged all units and just left the CD-ROM, I managed to open and close the drive. I even heard the fan that is inside the adapter box "buzzing". Later, when plugging in the hard drive, I could hear the disc spinning.

Any suggestions what the next step in finding the problem might be?

(the computer worked, til it just stopped working one day)

Cheers.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
JoeyM,

Have you tried a another video card maybe the computer is running but no display

Rick

JoeyM

JoeyM

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Rick,

no I haven't tried another video card, but I don't think the computer is running sice it's very quiet, i.e no sound from the fan, no sound from the disc spinning etc.