Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer monitor is turning off while windows is loading.

• Please log in to reply

choogler

choogler

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
So a friend came to me recently and asked if I could help repair his computer. Not much info on what made it break other then they where doing multiple tasks.

When I got it I try to power it on and it goes through POST fine but when windows starts to load the monitor goes blank but looks like the computer is still on. Green light on the power switch but yellow light on the monitor. I had an issues like this with an old computer and had the issue solved by you guys here. It happened to be the video card had fried on me, so i replaced it and no problem.

Well I tried to install a video card from a working computer that I have with no luck. Same thing happened.I Put in a new power supply and same thing still. Then I removed the hard drive and installed on one of my working comps. The purpose was to retrieve important stuff off of it for back up. Then I formated the drive and installed it back in friends PC. Booted back up and went to BIOS to change boot order to CD to reinstall windows. Then the monitor does the same thing.

I really did think it was a faulty Video driver, and thought a fresh install would do it. But can't get to the install.

Any Advice is very helpfull

Thanks, Trevor

Advertisements

choogler

choogler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well still no luck with the computer. I have test most of the parts except the mother board in another computer.

Any advice on how to find the problem?

Is this hardware issue? I believe it is

Please respond

Maxx_PL

Maxx_PL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
One thing worth checking is DVI/D-sub connection.

If the monitor have both try to force source change/use another port on video card.

I've encoutered problems that videocard was switching for unknown reason from DVI to D-SUB or that monitor was not switching automatically for correct port.