Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HAL.DLL MISSING/CORRUPT *NO BACKUP*

• Please log in to reply

Vestbiy_Myst

Vestbiy_Myst

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Heres the specs:

-WHen I start up windows xp home edition right after it shows RAID volumes and such an error message pops up:

WINDOWS couild not start because the following file is corrupt or mising:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll\Please re-install a copy of the above file

I haven't backed up my computer recently and would like to keep everything on it.

Any suggestions? So far ive tried to repair boot.ini and that didnt work

I also tried to restore Hal.dll from a disk and i was told by nearly every site to enter this into the recovery console:

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

but then I got another message saying access was denied even though it gave me no chance to enter in a password and the admin account is also un-passworded.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO any idears?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How to fix error message hal.dll is missing or cannot be found. (Adapted from Shaun Gray, Kelly's Korner).
Remove hard drive from system. Add Hard drive to a 2nd WORKING XP PRO System as Slave on Cable select.
Note: all references to “D:\” are the Slave Hard drive damaged windows.
Boot system and enable Explorer > tools > folder options > view. Check Show Hidden Files and Folders. UN-check Hide Protected OS Files.
A working copy of hal.dll will be found in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Copy that file and paste it to “D:\WINDOWS\System32” folder; if it asks to overwrite say YES.
You may now un-do the changes made to Explorer > tools > folder options to re-Hide files.
Shut Down the computer.
Remove the 2nd Drive and reinstall it to its own tower as Master. Bootup. If prompted to reinstall some drivers, Just say YES and let it auto detect.
This "FIX" assumes that the computer in question HAS at ther very least service pack1, if not service pack 2.