Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop waits for 2-3 minutes on welcome screen

• Please log in to reply

Anubhav

Anubhav

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have bought a Toshiba A-100 Satellite Laptop 2 months back. Since few days, I am noting that my laptop hangs for upto 2-3 minutes on the welcome screen in startup and then it proceeds normally.

I have Norton AntiVirus and have checked for any type of viruses and found none.
Also I remember i have installed Partition Magic 8 some time back to make another partition so as to seperate windows and linux disk.

Can anyone help me with the problem, is the problem because of Norton AV slow s/w or maybe becoz of partition magic 8, or anything else.

PS : This problem was not happening earlier when Norton was installed but partition magic wasn't.

Please help me out. :whistling:

Should I uninstall my original Norton ( 30-days subscription left ) and install NOD32 or should i renew it. :blink:

Edited by Anubhav, 18 August 2007 - 02:34 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup" tab and uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon ebooting you will see a message that should be checked.

Anubhav

Anubhav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I do not think the problem lies in this thing because it waits on the blue welcome screen and not in loading all softwares.
Norton is heavy s/w, I think problem may be because of it, but can the problem arise because I have manually made a seperate partition in windows and it takes laptop some time everytime it boots to load its settings????

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What is s/w? Why not try first what I suggested, it's so easy.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Uninstall Norton and try one of several free anti virus programs.
Norton is notorious for slowing down computers.

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

Popular free programs: AVG, Avast and AntiVir.

http://www.majorgeek.../page.php?id=20

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I think you should uninstall Norton and use AVG, Avast or AntiVir.
It is notorious for slowing down computers.

http://service1.syma...005033108162039