Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Vista OS Found!

• Please log in to reply

akadir

akadir

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I ordered the Ubuntu 7.04 CD in order to run a dual-boot installation alongside Vista Ultimate. I had Vista installed on my C drive (160GB with 15GB free space), and wanted to install Ubuntu on a new 10GB partition (created from the 15GB free space from my C drive).

I followed the Vista + Ubuntu dual boot installation as shown here: http://www.howtoforg...a_ubuntu_feisty .

I followed the instructions as rigorously as possible, but it seems that having now completed the installation, my Dell 640m laptop fails to find ANY Vista OS installed! - Instead of offering me the dual-boot choice of Vista & Ubuntu, my laptop boots straight into Ubuntu without asking me! (Ubuntu runs fine though).

The only hiccup I experienced in the Install (which should've sent my alarm bells ringing) is when Ubuntu didn't detect any Vista accounts to import. But I stupidly overlooked this, and continued with the partitioning/install of Ubuntu.

I've tried using the Vista boot DVD, but it only offers me the option of installing a new copy of Vista (losing all my of data, settings and programs!). The repair options aren't much help as it cannot find a system-restore point to use. I've tried the Repair which Vista offered, and it DID find a partition table error which it "successfully" fixed. Upon restarting the machine, I ran the Vista boot disk again and attempted to repair the Vista installation, but there was no Vista OS detected upon which the repair install could be carried out on!

I'm pretty sure it's due to the partitioning which took place during Ubuntu's installation. Is there anyway I can reverse this and set the original partition settings? Any advice on this?? I don't mind losing Ubuntu as long as I get Vista back with all my data! How can I get my laptop to detect Vista, restore my partitions and get back my data??

Please help! Thanks in advance...

Regards,

akadir

Edited by akadir, 18 August 2007 - 04:30 PM.

Advertisements