Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

changing label from E: to C: in the primary boot partition (windows XP

• Please log in to reply

urlwolf

urlwolf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
(I posted this at donationcoder.com. note: cmpm redirected me here :whistling: )
http://www.donationc...ic=9630.new#new

Hi,

After sacrificing a goat, I have a working installation of win XP on my new laptop (ex vista).
I like to have an OS partition, and a data partition. I created these with one of the partitioning programs that come in the Siren boot CD.
Now, for some reason, XP has intalled itself in the smaller partition (correct) but it's named E: (!).

Since many programs default to install in C:\program files, I'd like my OS partition to be C:. However, Partition Magic warns me that if change the boot partition label, the OS may not even boot.

What to do? Do you have any idea how to go from here?

Thanks!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would wait for some more answers on this before taking my word as golden, however, my experiance shows that YOU SHOULD NOT CHANGE THE E TO C. (actually, I believe you won't be able to even try).

You will have more problems.
The programs that will automatically install to "C" will find the "E" drive.

The only other thing you can do is reformat and reload everything is you do not like the main drive to be E.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I agree with 123runner. Now, while the computer is not loaded yet (I hope), you would be better off reinstalling XP and creating partitions to your liking during the process.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
agreed

i've actually changed a system partition label before...it didn't work out and i had to start over from scratch...it's doable...but it's easier to just start over

urlwolf

urlwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks to all who answered. I reinstalled and now have a C: partition. My data partition used to be E: (and all my ahk scripts, etc assume E:). However, in my new install, E: is nowhere to be found (!). No partition/CD etc, has the E label, but still not available in the dropdown list. Anyone knows how to bring it back?

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Go to Disk Management in Computer Management via Control Panel and create a partition.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
When you reinstalled, did you reformat and only make 1 partition?
If you think have a a 2nd partition, it could be unformatted.

Go to start/ control panel/ administrative tools/computer management/disk management and see if it shows up as unformatted.

urlwolf

urlwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, I did created and formatted a data partition. It's just that the drive letter for that partition is G:... And E: is not available in the dropdown list.

No other partition is labeled E:. The OS just doesn't let me label my data partition E: :/

Any ideas?

urlwolf

urlwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I think I know where the problem is.
the data partition is embedded into an extended partition. No idea why the OS did that.
Is there any way of removing a primary partition from within an extended partition?
Or should I just remove the entire extended partition, and create anew a primary partition?

Thanks

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Go to My Computer and see what is E: -- possibly your Optical drive?

If so change that to another letter then change your partition to E: !

urlwolf

urlwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There's no E:. that's the problem.
I think the trouble here is that this data partition is extended.

UPDATE: No: I just converted it to a primary partition. E: is not in the dropdown list!
[bleep]! I wonder where E: is. It's certainly not used by any partition or CD/DVD (at least it doesn't show!).
Maybe there's a hidden partition?

Thanks