Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

graphics card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

matt66666

matt66666

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi i recently upgraded the memory on my computer to 2gb on advice from this forum which has speeded it up nicely and has stopped it lagging and crashing when i use poker data mining software and have multiple programs running etc

however i still only have onboard graphics which shares 64mb of RAM and would like to upgarde i dont play many games so dont need the lastest all singing all dancing graphics card just something to improve 2d performance ovarall

because i play poker would like to upgrade to a 21" monitor so i can fit more tables on the screen so could someone recommend a graphics upgrade that would suit my requirements buget about £50 -£100

i think i only have PCI slots and dont hae an AGP not sure though

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi matt66666, download Everest Home Edition and run it to find what motherboard you have - this information will tell us what graphics card socket your motherboard supports.

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Once in, select the "Report" button (up the top), then when the wizard comes up, select Next, System Summary Only, Plain Text, Finish. A new page will replace the wizard, save it to file (on your desktop). Then copy/paste the top half of the text into your next reply.

So for the monitor, you already have one or you are going to get one? The budget is only for the graphics card, right?

I thought a graphics card was really only for 3D, like games, animation, movies...

matt66666

matt66666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes the £50 - £100 is just for the graphics card i have seen a samsung monitor for about £200 havent got it yet though not sure it is right

i have asked this question after reading this post on a poker forum

The standard pokertable size is about 800x600 pixels. That means you need a screen with at least 1600x1200 resolution if you want to open 4 tables without overlap. The actual size of the screen doesn't matter, only the resolution counts.

Just look for a monitor with 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 resolution. Make sure that your videocard can handle the resolution of your screen.

You can buy a second monitor later if you want to play 5-8 tables. But to be able to run dual monitors you will need a pretty good videocard and computer.

this has lead me to believe that i need a better video card as well as a monitor capable of 1600*1200 would be gratefull if u could recommend both

I see he has said it doesnt matter how big the monitor is as long as its 16 * 12 resolution but i would need a large size so the tables werent tiny if u know what i mean e.g if i could change the 17" monitor i have now to 16 * 12 everthing would be to small correct me if i am wrong

i hope this is what you wanted

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer SN200106570005
Generator Bestwood
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-08-19
Time 20:07

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name SN200106570005
User Name Bestwood

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1800 MHz (13.5 x 133) 2200+
Motherboard Name MSI KM3M-V (MS-7061) / KM4M-L (MS-6734 v1) / KM4AM-L (MS-6734 v2) / MS-6786
Motherboard Chipset VIA UniChrome KM266 Pro / KM400(A) / KN400(A)
System Memory 1248 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (06/27/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter VIA/S3G KM400/KN400 (32 MB)
Video Adapter VIA/S3G KM400/KN400 (32 MB)
3D Accelerator VIA/S3 UniChrome
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (H111701830)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST340015A (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Disk Drive Apple iPod USB Device (3 GB, USB)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B (48x/24x/48x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 36099 MB (13421 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (84.43.88.13)
Modem Smart Link 56K Voice Modem

Peripherals:
Printer EPSON Stylus C46 Series
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device SpeedTouch 330 ADSL Modem
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1800 MHz (13.5 x 133) 2200+
Motherboard Name MSI KM3M-V (MS-7061) / KM4M-L (MS-6734 v1) / KM4AM-L (MS-6734 v2) / MS-6786
Motherboard Chipset VIA UniChrome KM266 Pro / KM400(A) / KN400(A)
System Memory 1248 MB (DDR SDRAM)

This is the information I wanted in particular. I'm interested in the system memory, though, I thought you said you had 2GB? Even with 64MB as shared with graphics, this should still show around the 1984MB mark... That sounds extremely weird, you might want to get that checked out also.

We can see the motherboard is an MSI, although I am a bit confused as to the model, with all the information there. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to ask you to either:
a) find the exact model motherboard on the MSI webpage, or
b) with the computer turned off, open the case and identify the model codes on the motherboard and report them back here.

If you aren't sure how to do any of these, then please ask for more info, I could dig it up for you. We'll get something going for you, just hang tight!
Cheers :whistling: