Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Not Running Correctly :(

• Please log in to reply

Pocky

Pocky

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi everyone!! My computer isn't running correctly..at all and it's starting to really scare me T_T My brother was messing around with my computer, and he said that he 'accidentally' deleted some files from HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE under the Software - Microsoft Office. I have no clue what he was doing, and he won't tell me either :\ I've heard that if you delete things from the above, it can screw up your computer with no chances of recovery T___T This is really worrying me because I don't have enough money for a new computer..
Anyways, to solve the problem, I tried to do a System Restore. However, it did not work. I tried to run the 'Help and Support' from the START menu, but an error came up that said 'Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.' I decided to search for this file, except now my Search won't even work!! And my computer looks like a really old version of Windows..instead of the blue toolbar, it's like a sandy color now..:blink:
I also tried to run 'msconfig' on my computer, but the same error message I got from trying to run 'Help and Support' showed up. I'm really worried about my computer...my heart feels like it's going to jump out >___<

Thanks to all the help I receive!!!!♥

edit.
I just viewed the pinned topic about repairing Windows XP here....in this case, would it be a good idea to do that instead? :whistling:

Edited by Pocky, 18 August 2007 - 03:12 PM.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Have you run any cleaning or reg cleaning programs in the past that saved a copy of your registry?

If so you could restore your registry from one of those programs.

And never let anyone use your account, let them log in as guest without admin privileges.
Just a suggestion though.
I have relatives that are not allowed on any of my computers, cause they don't know what they are doing.

Pocky

Pocky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
^ Hm..I don't think so?? lol. I'm pretty sure I haven't run any reg cleaning programs :whistling: Plus, I think most of my programs/software got wiped out T__T The Add/Remove Program list has only a couple compared to the dozens before >_<

Thanks for the suggestion ^^ I need to keep that in mind..I assumed my brother knew how to work a computer though ¬__¬

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, do you have a copy of XP(pro if pro, home if home), best to do a repair with CD since it restores the currupt files with changing your data

Pocky

Pocky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi fleamailman ^^ I have a dell, so I don't think it came with a XP disc...I have two questions though :3

1) Is it okay if I use someone else's XP disc? (ie. my sister's disc, or my dad's, friends, etc?)
2) If I run the XP disc, will all my files be wiped out? Because my dad has an external hard drive, and I guess I can just move all my files onto his..:]

Thanks for the help!!♥ I appreciate it :whistling: I've calmed down a bit now :blink:

edit.
Sorry..:3 I'm off to bed >_< It's getting a little too late for me XD I'll keep searching for the disc though ^^

Edited by Pocky, 18 August 2007 - 11:00 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi again, no non windows files wiped because it just replace windows files only, and you can use someone elses xp cd(pro cd for pro computer, home...) here is nice link that explain the idea for you, thanks
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

btw here is another idea that might be easier to try first
http://www.geekstogo...xp-t131922.html

Edited by fleamailman, 19 August 2007 - 05:42 AM.

Large

Large

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is probably completely obvious, but one of the stickies of this forum is about the Repair specifically... "best kept secret!" :blink:

I really wanted to comment on a part of this:

Have you run any cleaning or reg cleaning programs in the past that saved a copy of your registry?

If so you could restore your registry from one of those programs.

And never let anyone use your account, let them log in as guest without admin privileges.
Just a suggestion though.
I have relatives that are not allowed on any of my computers, cause they don't know what they are doing.

Oh, so true. I have some horror stories of this, but I won't get into them here in your thread. :help: I did just want to agree with the bolded statement with my claim of personal experience; believe me if you want, keep them off your computer if you want. It is your choice, though some to feel this to be "snobby". Not me though! It has cost me unwanted bills even to my telephone company letting an iq deficient friend get on my computer.

If it is your brother.... [bleep], you must be nice to your brother to let him on there. ESPECIALLY brothers. :help: We brothers are known for malicious intent. How old is he? Growing up, I'd have done that to my sister too. Do you spend a lot of time on there? Maybe he needs some more of your time; do you raise him? Are you the primary parental figure in the home? If so, he could be, well, ya know. He needs more of your computer time to be spent hangin' out, so he trashed your registry.
Maybe. :whistling: If you are not the primary parent of your brother, maybe it is some sibling rivalry thing. He's just messin'. If he didn't do it on purpose, then it was an accident, and accidents happen; so avoid them!

The point is, not even family should be allowed on the computer unsupervised.

Sorry, but it's true;
my point of view.

Pocky

Pocky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
^ lol...he just asked to soo...:\ We're actually on pretty good terms...^^. He's 13, btw. 13-year-old should know better, imo. -__- He wouldn't do that on purpose...would he? .___. hahah jk :]] i love him anyways...even though I feel like killing him if my computer never works again :blink:

fleamailman: i did the bottom one that you suggested first, then I tried the repairing windows one. While doing the one that Admin wrote, I got a couple errors..The first one was:

1) Sub- Component COM+ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message. D:\nt\com\com1x\src\complusssetup\comsetup\csetuputil.cpp (line 3406)

error code = 0x8007007f

The specified procedure could not be found. Failed to load the library 'D:\WINDOWS\system3catsrv.dll'.

2) An error occurred loading "D:\Program files\Common Files\System\directdb.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

3) An error occurred loading "D:\WINDOWS\System32\inetcomm.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

4) An error occurred loading "D:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msoe.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

5) An error occurred loading "D:\Program Files\Common Files\System\wab32.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

Also, when my computer reboots, a little popup automatically appears that says InCD is not properly installed. Please re-install InCD.
I have no idea what the InCD is...:3

One more thing..XD there were two users on my computer, both admins. There's only one user now, Andy (my dad) and all my files/desktop/settings are gone (my computer does not look anything like an XP computer...the taskbar is still sandy, along with the windows and everything). The only way I can see my files is if I go to 'My Computer' -> 'Local disk (F:)' (It's weird because that drive used to be Local Disk (D:). I'm a bit confused right now :whistling:

Lol..last thing, I promise. I can't access my files, because my user account was password protected. When I go to the folder and double-click my name, it says F:\Documents and Settings\Julie is not accessible. Access is denied.

Edited by Pocky, 19 August 2007 - 04:16 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
me too, confused that is, a repair should not wipe your data normally as stated anymore than this should happen, incd is part of Nero burning program, I am out of my depth here, anyone

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
run windows update-express install-
sounds like you don't have service pack 2 installed
that would fix your graphics any way and other things possibly

Advertisements

Pocky

Pocky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
^zzz we're all confused X__X hahahh. well, thanks for all your help so far fleamailman ^^

edit.
okie cmpm :] I'm going to try what you just suggested now :blink:

edit2.
one problem...i can't seem to connect to the internet on the computer! i'm using my dad's laptop right now :3...hopefully i won't break this XD

i don't even see internet explorer on the computer..:whistling:

Edited by Pocky, 19 August 2007 - 04:39 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am hoping that that is the right direction, if not we are now probably talking about using system restore to a point prior the start of the problem but go along with the ideas given we can always go back later

Edited by fleamailman, 19 August 2007 - 04:40 PM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
hmm, yeah system restore
or press f8 when booting and choose 'last known good configuration'
otherwise it's up to the real geeks
i'm just a user with a little bit of knowledge

Edited by cmpm, 19 August 2007 - 04:50 PM.

Pocky

Pocky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

I am hoping that that is the right direction, if not we are now probably talking about using system restore to a point prior the start of the problem but go along with the ideas given we can always go back later

hmm, yeah system restore
or press f8 when booting and choose 'last known good configuration'
otherwise it's up to the real geeks
i'm just a user with a little bit of knowledge

I think the system restore got wiped out though :\ And that means that my files will be gone TT_TT Oh well...:whistling: Thanks for all your help, guys! ^^
Are there any other suggestions? XD

Edited by Pocky, 19 August 2007 - 05:30 PM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
have you tried f8?
either boot into safe mode or what i mentioned

personally i try the simple things first

when the comp is rebooting
keep tapping f8 till you get a screen with options