Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me! i cant connect to internet... ICS prob?

• Please log in to reply

ihatemyself

ihatemyself

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I dont know what is going on with my computer... this one i am on now is my friends laptop and i only have it for a little while to try to fix my computer. it seems to be totally blocked from the internet, when i unplug the ethernet cable it notices, but when i put it back in it does nothing, when i go to network connections it still says disconnected so i disable and re-enable it but still no packet activity, also when i go to the details there is no Ip or Dns info at all it is completely blank.

I know its not my isp or modem because i am using the same exact cord to get the internet on this laptop right now.
ive been trying everything i can i think of all day, it seems my ICS is not running and i cannot start it in services.msc it says " could not start the windows firewall/connection sharing (ICS) service on local computer. Error 2 the system cannot find the file specified." also when i go to properties it says "configuration manager: the specfied instance handle does not correspond to a present device."

the path it is trying to execute is C:\\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
it is set to automatic but the service says that is it stopped

im pretty sure this is where my problem lies, cause every scan i have run doesnt find anything and i think my HJT log looks prety good. do i need to get a fresh copy of the svchost.exe file? or is there some other solution any of you can think of?

and yes this computer used to connect to the internet

when i do ipconfig /all a dos window just flashes on my screen for like one second and nothing happens, i just noticed that my volume control is gone off my desktop, computer can locate Sndvol32.exe something must have deleted this recently ill do another scan which takes about an hour so ill post back with the results. how will i go about replacing sndvol32?

EVENT LOG
as far as the errors in system even log where do i start ... under system event 7023 seems to be happening second alot its source is service control manager.
other than that one i see event 7000 and 7001 a couple of times (these are red errors)

under the application area of event viewer the only recent one that is occuring often is event 1517 but is is just a yellow warning and 5603 happed a couple of time in a row ( also yellow warning)

i hope this is good info let me know if you want me to be more specific about these event codes or anything else

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey. To run the ipconfig

First do the following.

Click Start.
Click Run
Type "cmd"
Than press enter or click OK.

At the command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes)

Post the results back here.