Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OLEAUT32.dll problem in Windows XP Media Center 2005

• Please log in to reply

fun2ski43

fun2ski43

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello All,

I have a rather odd problem that has been through MS support, HP and Geek Squad. Now I will turn to the true experts.

I downloaded MS updates and after rebooting my OLEAUT32.dll file was deleted somehow??? As a result there was no way to
start the computer. After many hours I had the Geek Squad install an OLEAUT32.dll file. However it was from MS XP professional.

As such, when I run SFC.exe /scannow I am asked to supply MS Professional SP2 OS disk and not the XP Media Center edition 2005
that came with the computer.

How do I obtain the correct "OLEAUT32.dll" and how should it be installed to overwrite the incorrect file????

Any help would be appreciated. I will also try to contact MS again but they have limited PST hours.

:whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a system restore point from before the updates?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
While Keith is helping you out, this link will give you more info and where to DL the DLL you need:

MSNMSGR.EXE file is linked to missing export OLEAUT32.DLL

RESOLUTION
Download the vbruntime update from Microsoft below.

Shutdown Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger
This file will update the oleaut32.dll file on, Win 98,Win 98SE, Win ME, Win 2000 and Windows XP

http://download.micr.../VBRun60sp5.exe

Reboot after the installation update.

Another option is to install the latest service pack, for the Operating System Messenger is running on.

Ron

fun2ski43

fun2ski43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed the Roxio BackonTrack software which until now worked fine to restore the system. However, this
program turns off the restore option.

I will follow the advice given so far and get back to everyone on the results.

Thanks

fun2ski43

fun2ski43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just spoke with MS support. They helped install the OLEAUT32.dll file but a new problem has reared its ugly head.

After running sfc /scannow I am prompted to insert the Windows Professional XP service pack 2 and amazingly MS told me to obtain
the disk from a friend (that is just great). I went back to the geek squad and they do not have this disk either.

How can I get this disk?? I think MS knows that most people run everything but Professional but this was a stopping point.

Anyone know where I can obtain the cab files requested by sfc /scannow?

Thanks in advance.