Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get into safe mode when re-booting

• Please log in to reply

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I'm trying to get into safe mode to use AVG anti-spyware as instructed in the Hijack This part of this forum. When I restart and constantly hit f8 it's just restarting as usual although I do get beeps for a while from the tower as I'm pressing f8 for a brief period of the restart. Is this because I've changed to a USB keyboard? I got a G15 Logitech and I've noticed it lights up and the LCD screen only comes on halfway through start-up and I'm guessing this is too late to prompt the safe mode menu. I've accessed safe mode before on this computer when it had a keyboard with a standard purple plug - which I don't have anymore, only got this one to use. Is there a way I can get into safe mode to run the program as instructed?
Thanks, Pete.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Tap the F8 key every second or two, but not too fast or you will get a keyboard error. The trick is to catch it before you see the Windows logo.

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Borrow a PS2 keyboard - you cannot use F8 with a USB keyboard.

RogueSheep

RogueSheep

• Pip
  • 6 posts
If you are able to restart your PC from Windows, you can go to START, then RUN, then type in msconfig. From this box you can start your computer in safe mode by checking selective startup and under that make sure only use orginal BOOT.INI is checked.

I have a wireless keyboard that will work during this, but not the mouse, so I have a PS2 mouse as a spare for times like this. So you might want to just buy cheapy PS2 keyboard tp keep around.

Also, I agree with the pressing the F8 every couple of seconds, it may be your just missing the time windows you have to press F8, since it is so hard to tell when exactly to press it. That has worked for me in the past.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
there are three ways to get into safemode, two have been mentioned above, the third is a dirty way but sometimes one has no choice if both F8 and getting to post normally are out, here goes:

- remove battery if laptop
- turn on computer let run in windows startup screen a short while 10 or 20 seconds
- pull the plug from the wall
- return plug to the wall
- turn on computer and if should jump into safemode out of shock

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for your responses to my question. I ended up borrowing PS2 keyboard in order to do it.