Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

duplicated files

• Please log in to reply

jimmin

jimmin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi after doing system restore due to pc problem after about 6hrs every thing was fine but, now it appears that whole hard drive has been duplicated and prior to system restore I had about 70 gig of space now done to about 1 gig. How do I get back to previous set-up or regain my space. Incidentially a lot of progs are not work as files missing and need to be restored.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Right click on My Computer, select Properties, System Restore tab, click on Settings, and move the slider down to about 10% or even 5%, click Apply. See if you regain the GBs.

System Restore does not recognize any programs you installed after the restore point you selected. These programs will have to be reinstalled.

jimmin

jimmin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi thanks for quick response, unfortunately that hasn't worked, my pc has 160gig drive and is currentley showing 148gig as used space which was before i tinkered approx 70gig?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Sounds like a bigger problem then system restore.
You can undo the last system restore through system restore.
If you can't undo I don't have much more to give ya.
But stick around, someone will, when there is enough info about the problem.

What was the problems you were having?

Edited by cmpm, 19 August 2007 - 06:52 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, I have a bad habit of suggesting to start again from scratch, because a system this far gone sounds like it is going to take longer to repair then to reinstall and besides you should have a backup(if only because the harddrive can die on you whatever), that is one including your XP license number, a copy of the XPcd, copies of your programs, your drivers and your data; however, if there is some reason why you cannot backup your stuff, that is if you do not have x or y program or the like, I can understand but it does sound like one would have to get the system back to what it was and then clear up the original problem too, a challenge to anyone here but stick around as I am often wrong and someone might post a better idea, thanks

Edited by fleamailman, 19 August 2007 - 11:42 AM.