Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Athalon temperature

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
i have an AMD mobile athalon XP 2400+ installed in my desktop computer. the idea was going to be that since the chip runs on 1.3 volts, it would help keep temps down in my case. however, the lowest voltage my motherboard will send to the chip is 1.5 volts. So im overclocking it slightly. the temperature of the chip at idle is about 45 C. (acording to Asus probe)

is this a safe temperature? what is considered a good operating temp for this type of chip?

thanks
-josh

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

45c is ok for that cpu but not great, If you plan to overclock then you need to keep a close eye on it.

Ideal temps are low 40,s or even high 30's but 30's is hard to achieve with the barton core but I have a 2500+ that idles at around 37c with a room temp of 70f.

Ideal temps at full load is low 50's you don't want to see 60c this most likely won't hurt the chip but running in the low 60c you could start to see instability.

Anything over about 65c is the danger zone but all this really depends on how accurate your sensor is.

You could run prime95 to load the system and watch the temp under full load and see if everthing is stable

Rick