Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Presario Laptop

• Please log in to reply

sithlord6

sithlord6

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This is my first post here, so first of all, hello :whistling:.
As you can see in the description, I have 2 questions for my Compaq Preasario 900 (905us to be exact).

1. My CD/DVD drive is detected by the computer, and the computer knows when it's open or shut, but it can't seem to tell when there's a disc in there. I'm wondering if anyone knows what exactly the problem is, and how to fix it.

2. I know this computer has no graphics "card" from some research I've done (it has a radeon integrated graphics processor-IGP320m), but I heard it was possible to add a card and disable the IGP, I'm not sure if it's true though. I haven't yet looked at the motherboard, the most I've taken off is the ram cover and the CD drive (which didn't help me, but it was kinda fun... heheh). I do know how to get to the motherboard though, so if I need to take it apart I can.

Thanks in advance,

Teh Sithy

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This could be a Windows software problem or a physical laser problem with the device itself. For the former, it should be fixable, for the latter it may not be possible without replacing the entire drive. Because of the specs of this laptop and it looks like its a good few years old, the drives may not be obtainable and may be more than the laptop's worth.

Most laptops have use onboard graphics which take a chunk out of system memory in order to put a picture on the screen. As a general rule its not possible to upgrade graphics on a laptop.

sithlord6

sithlord6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That's what I was afraid of. I don't have a ton of money, I bought this for 40 dollars from my brother. The drive stopped working within a week after that >_<. So replacing the laptop isn't a very good option, even though it may be the only one. I could probably get an external drive, but I don't have USB 2.0 ports and most externals I've seen are usb. Not to mention that for an external you'd pay about 20-30 bucks more than for the same internal drive.

And that's kinda what I thought for the graphics, but I wanted to make sure.

How come I always find expensive hobbies?

EDIT: Oh, and I was planning on upgrading the ram eventually anyway, just wondering if there were any recommendations on where to buy stuff like that?

EDIT 2: (I'm forgetful) Does anyone know anything about the hard drives in these things? Judging by the fact that it's connected to the cover, I'd say it's pretty unique. But something more than 30 gigs would be nice, especially when 5 gigs is just music. I know this thing isn't designed to be a gaming machine, but I'd like to get the best performance possible for games.

Edited by sithlord6, 19 August 2007 - 02:37 PM.