Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SUPERAntiSpyware is taking 21 hours to scan!

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
SUPERAntiSpyware takes forever for my computer to scan... I dunno why, it's taking 21 hours right now, and it's not close to done yet. My really really slow computer only took around 9 hours, and this is ridiculous. Is this even normal? Should I switch it with a different anti-spyware program? (Maybe Spybot?) I currently have AVG AntiSpyware along with SUPERAntiSpyware... I also have Spyware Blaster.

But anyways, it's still scanning, and it's at 1,939,561 scanned items and quickly increasing. I dont have that many space used up in my HDD...

Is this normal? Should I exchange it with another program?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The amount of time to scan is proportional to the amount of stuff on the disk and the general speed of the computer.
You should also disable the virus scanner and AVG AntiSpyware too while SuperAntiSpyware runs. You're only making a rod for the computer's back otherwise.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It will also help if you clean up your temp files using something like ATF, remove any unnecessary restore points, and empty your recycle bin.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

The amount of time to scan is proportional to the amount of stuff on the disk and the general speed of the computer.
You should also disable the virus scanner and AVG AntiSpyware too while SuperAntiSpyware runs. You're only making a rod for the computer's back otherwise.

I did.

It will also help if you clean up your temp files using something like ATF, remove any unnecessary restore points, and empty your recycle bin.

I did that as well.

It's still running now. The amount of files it's scanned is now 2,700,000+, however I think the elapsed time counter was overlapsed because now it says it's only been running for 3 hours, while it hasn't. It's been well over a day now that it's running.

Is the combination of AVG AntiSpyware and Spybot good? Or should I get Ad-Aware instead of Spybot to combo with AVG? Because I never liked SUPERAntiSpyware, I always just thought it's best if I go with GTG guidelines, but it seems to me that this isn't working out for my computer.

I appreciate all the responses so far. Thanks in advance again.