Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd drive not working

• Please log in to reply

idc

idc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i inserted a game that has to be played in the dvd drive and it never came up. i went to my computer and the game was there but when i clicked it it would load for a while then nothing would happen. after that happened twice it said the dvd drive could not be found and that it might have been moved to a diffferent location or something like that. tehn i tried restoring my computer to an earlier date and now the dvd drive isnt in my computer or any where else that i can find. it wont read any disks.

Advertisements

idc

idc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
my dvd drive is not anywhere on my computer how whould i go about getting it back

Edited by idc, 25 August 2007 - 03:41 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there idc, welcome to Geeks to Go! This is a common problem, errors with DVD drives and such. How old is the drive? Usually they only last few years, less with heavy use...

From the desktop, right-click on "My Computer" and select Manage, then in the window that appears select "Device Manager" from the menu on the left and it should load in the right. Under the DVD/CD-ROM Drives (Click the plus sign [+]), is your drive listed there? Is there either a question mark or an exclamation mark next to it?

idc

idc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
its not listed there and its about 3 or 4 yrs old

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay then you'll need to shut down your computer, disconnect it from the power cable, open up the side, touch a part of the metal chassis first (to ground any static electricity). Then you should double-check that the power and data cables going to the back of the drive are connected properly and also to the motherboard. If they seem fine, try pulling them out and then pushing them back in again firmly (but don't force anything). Then put your side back on, power back in, start up and see if Windows recognises it. If not, I suggest it's time to get a new drive.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Have a read at my earlier post

http://www.geekstogo...es-t147635.html

3rd one down LOST DRIVES it may help,

idc

idc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for ur help but its still not working i'll just get a new drive

idc

idc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for ur help but its still not working i'll just get a new drive

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries, if you need help installing the new one just give us a yell! :whistling: