Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

13mb email hang within office outlook 2007 mail ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,
Never come across this one before ! ! :blink:

I have sent an email to my nephew with some pics as attachments,,,
Problem is,, its been 5 hrs now and the [bleep] thing is still sitting in my outbox sending,,,

Its a 13mb email,, any other mail client i have used has put up error messages such as " couldnt send the mail " or " attchements was to large to send ",if it was too large a size,,, but outlook 2007 is still sending it.

I have tried to halt the send,, i have tried to delete the email, i have disabled the send/recieive,, have restarted the pc,, have rebooted,, have tried everything to stop or cancel the email....

Will it ever complete sending the [bleep] thing,, or is there some other way i havent yet thought of to stop it sending ? ? ?

And before you ask ! ! ! :whistling: Yes,,, i thought i could send a 13mb mail,,, was under the impression up to 20mb was allowed ! !

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... cheers, kev

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Try opening Outlook and going to Tools then Options then got to the Mail Setup tab and unchecking Send immediately when connected. Then close and reopen Outlook and see if you can delete the message.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Nope,,,,, tried that one already ! ! :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The way I have done it is to put my modem in standby or lock internet connect with ZoneAlarm. Then I let email client try to connect to internet, when I get alert that message could not be sent, I go to Outbox and delete the email. Then I reset internet connection. You might try mw2010's idea, but also go to File and select "Work offline".

Ron

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks Major Payne :blink:

The working offline trick did it ! !
Was able to delete the message, but also was able to retrieve it intact from the deleted items folder.
I will send it again ,,,,,, with not so many pictures attached this time..... :whistling:

What sort of mb allowance is best for an email,,,, my server is btyahoo !

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Glad the easiest method worked for you. If you wish to send large files, I have used http://www.sendspace.com/. Just register and stay within the free limit. Here's the useage stats for your server: BT Yahoo.

Your limitations may be more dependent on which email client you are using.

Ron

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Yahoo has pretty strict limits on email sizes. GMail will go up to 20Mb, I think. Each ISP sets their own policy. Any email over 1Mb, IMO, should be cleared with the receiver ahead of time.

Super simple way to resize pictures
Image Resizer from MS Powertoys.
Johanna

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I split the email into 3 mails with 4 to 5 mb of attached pictures in each, and they all sent properly, and were received prompltly afterwards.
Have tried to find out thru BT what the limit is,,,but no one seems to know ? ? ?

Anyhows, the pics have all been sent,, with a more sensible mb limit ! ! :whistling:

I have no idea where i got the thought that 20mb was the limit ! !

Thanks to all who replied to this post,,, problem resolved ,,thankyou

Kev.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Gave link to BT Yahoo so you could locate the info. Here's what BT Yahoo says:

Email terms explained

if you're completely new to email, here are explanations of some basic terms: Attachments
When you send an email you also have the option of sending a file attachment such as a text document (Word or Excel), photographs (PhotoShop files, gifs, and jpegs), Sound files (MP3s) or Video clips (Windows Media Player, Real Media Player). Depending on which Service level you choose there will be a limit on the size of attachments you can send and receive.

The largest possible size of any file (e.g. photo file or other form of digital document) which can be attached to any single email sent from your account. 10Mb is usually large enough to include photos and some video messages, while 3Mb is sufficient for medium size photo files. Premium Mail has a 10MB attachment limit.

Email terms explained

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 20 August 2007 - 12:30 PM.

eddieg

eddieg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Rxkevco,

In the future you may want to consider using http://www.yousendit.com/ for transmitting large attachments. You can send up to a Gig for free.

Cheers,

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Many thanks everyone,,,

I dont ofton send big files,, this was a one off really,, but i think i will just try to keep to the 10mb max, that i have recently discovered ( majorpayne), is this max for btyahoo premium mail !

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yes. 10 Mb is for Premium only.

Ron

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks Ron...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're most welcome! Thank you for using GTG.

Ron