Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb trouble

• Please log in to reply

thejackenator

thejackenator

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey i got a sandisk cruzor and off-brand external hard drive. i don't know if it happened when i plugged the cruzor in or before that but they both don't work now. also, after turning my computer on, with nothing plugged in, it thinks there is a usb drive plugged in. although nothing is plugged in the safely remove hardware icon is in the bottom right and i can 'safely remove usb mass storage device - Drive (F:)'. i've tried uninstalling a bunch of stuff in device manager and in hkey local and can't get that one thing to stay gone or the others to work. it will recognize and assign letters to the cruzor and external ard drive but if i click properties it says they have 0 of o bytes.

i had all my music on the external hard drive.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Advertisements

thejackenator

thejackenator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK i think the usb mass storage device that says is plugged in and i can't get rid of has something to do with my printer. it is a new hp photosmart c4200. i think that is the root of my problems. when i plug the cruzor in it says it is installed and ready to use and then says one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it. it doesn't get assigned a drive letter. is is listed in safely remove hardware thing as Unknown Device.

thejackenator

thejackenator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well it will now run my new external hard drive and printer fine! they are both plugged in the back. but if i try to plug my cruzor into one of the front usb hubs it doesn't work. does anyone know what i can do to fix this