Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recent AIM Slowdown/Sending IMs lag

• Please log in to reply

meamthespecial

meamthespecial

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Earlier today, AIM started lagging whenever I would send an IM, but not while receiving them. I don't understand why it began to do this since I had been on my computer earlier in the day without any problem at all. Basically, all that happens is when i try to send an IM to someone, i get a 5-10 second delay where the message is still in the typing area and all of AIM freezes for that time, the window, my buddy list, everything to do with AIM. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling hoping for a simple fix, but it didn't help anything. I even tried an older version of AIM and got the same problem. My last resort was to try Trillian and hope that worked, and I figured it would, but nothing again, still had the lag while trying to send a message.

I'd appreciate any help getting rid of this, thanks in advance.

Advertisements

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Howdy there :whistling:

I also use AIM a little, but also have had the same problem.

The only thing I can suggest it to plow through, it seems to be an on going problem with AIM. I get into a buddy chat at least once a week and there is almost always one person who has that problem.

As for your computer, something that might help you "run faster" is to do a defrag, scan disk, and turn off all unneeded/unwanted programs.
If you would like some help and direction on how to run those please post back :blink:

meamthespecial

meamthespecial

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's nice to see kindness and people actually trying to help for a change.. playing world of warcraft of course got me used to people being jerks, but that's another story, hehe.

I know most of the basics about defragging and getting my computer to run faster in general, and I try to do that quite often. Thanks for the offer to help out though.

Urg, the slowdown is bugging me, hope it resolves itself in someway eventually. Currently going through and cleaning up my computer and removing viruses and trojans and such.

Thanks for the reply!