Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message When opening Office Documents

• Please log in to reply

wildcat114

wildcat114

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
when i try and open a office document, it wont load. it says that the document is unavailable. however, i can create new documents and save them, but never re-access them. i have run virus-scanners and other things, but i still cant access it. any thoughts on how to fix it. thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Search for normal.dot and rename it then try

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i renamed normal.dot to 'test' and still cant open documents. this one seems pretty tricky. any ideas?

LapeerTech

LapeerTech

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Is this the same error regardless of opening via double clicking in Windows Explorer or the File->Open option in Word? Can wordpad open it?

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
cant open it either way....yea wordpad can open it, just not the office programs.

also...you told me to rename 'normal' and i did, but it has managed to re-appear as 'normal' even after the rename, so now there are 2 files: the one i renamed and the new 'normal'. hope that gives you any ideas. thanks again for your help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do the search again and include hidden files then rename all of them, it should re-appear as one without any errors

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok...i found the new 'normal' file, and i double clicked on it and it opened just fine to a blank document page. but i still cant open existing documents.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are the documents saved as read only, are they protected, is document unavailable the complete error message

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with file then open to see they have .doc extension

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
they dont have a .doc extension, they just say the file name which is 'normal'....and the file type is microsoft word template.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Change a file name to whatever.doc

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try with save as also

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i got nothin....every time i try to open a document using word, no matter what i change the name to, the error message still says 'blah blah blah not available'. haha this is just so frustrating. thoughts?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Save a file then transfer to CDR and try it on another PC, if it opens then you need to remove Office and re-install it if you have not clicked help then detect and repair

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
tried repair and fix tool...didnt help. then i reinstalled everything....which also didnt work. but it works on any other computer, just not this one. im contemplating giving up. heh.