Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Presario Power Supply Problem

• Please log in to reply

ladybug329

ladybug329

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can someone Please help me understand how to put a new power supply unit in my Compaq Presario SR1913WM ? I have never replaced anything on my computer myself and I'm not sure which connectors are suppose to be plugged in. The unit I bought has different connectors than the original one I took out and obviously I failed to remember exactly how they were connected. The unit I bought is a Antec Basiq ATX12V version 2.01 models: BP350/BP350P. Can someone PLEASE tell me if it will even work and if so how to connect it ?

:whistling: Ladybug329

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi there,,,

With the greatest of respect, if you have never replaced anything in your pc before then i urge you NOT to continue !

Fitting a new PSU in your pc is not the hardest of jobs upgrading, but if you have never even replaced a memory module or fitted a hadrive,then iwould leave well alone and take it to your local pc repair shop to have it looked at by somone who knows what they are doing.

There are many psu,s on the market but not all are compatible with all motherboards.
Motherboards have different voltage requirements.

At the very least ,,you could fry your motherboard,,, at worse,,, yourself ! !

Please take it to somone proffessional to have it fitted.

PS: Just out of intrest,,, why did you need to replace the power supply ? ?

ladybug329

ladybug329

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi..thanks for replying, and you are definatly right...I should have let someone do it for me. The reason I was replacing it is because there was a really bad storm with lots of lightning and our power went out 2 or 3 times back to back. I was not here when it happened but I had shut my computer down. Everything is plugged into my surge protector and I had even turned it off. Well I am fairly sure lightning hit the outlet that it was plugged into because the exact same thing happened a couple years ago to another computer. :blink: When I had a friend of mine check it out, he said that it somehow fried the power supply unit and replaced it 4 me. I thought it fried my MB or my Hard drive because it wouldn't even power on, so when it turned out to be the PSU I was so relieved. This is exactly what happened this time, so I am only hoping this would be the problem. Now I will say that I definatly donot understand how if everything is powered off, lightning can still do harm. Anyway, I really felt I could do this myself and thought I was paying close attention as I unplugged the wires from the original so I would plug the new ones in right... but the 20 pin and 24 pin thing is what confused me. :whistling:

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Have a read of this,,before proceeding any further...

http://reviews.ebay....000000001677774

There is still a big possibility that the power surge that fried your original power supply, has caused some damage to the motherboard, and/or the drives.
Keep your fingers crossed when you finally get to booting up ! !

I would also personally invest in a more efficent power surge protection unit as a matter of urgency. If this is the 2nd PSU you are replacing, then your protector is obviously not doing its job,,, it should surge out BEFORE it hits the PSU ! !

I am familiar with all the problems USA has with its variable voltage power supply,, and the horrendous storms that hit at certain times of year,, something that we in the UK are unfamiliar with,,, having a regulated 240v supply is something we all take for granted,,, the storms however,seem to be getting worse over here ! ! But i am sure that surge protectors over here do the same job as in the states ! !

But,, as i have urged you in my previous post,,,,,, if you are unsure what you are doing,,,take it to somone who knows what they are doing,, it could save your pc and prevent you from picking up a nasty shock yourself.
I cant stress enough, how important it is NOT to mess with electricity if you are unfamiliar with the task ! ! :whistling:

Edited by rxkevco, 21 August 2007 - 03:37 AM.