Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Boot

• Please log in to reply

yaman

yaman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Is it possible to install windows XP over the network? My laptop recently got reformatted only to find out the CD-Rom drive doesn't work to install windows XP back onto it. When I boot up the laptop it says press F12 for network boot, and then says something about it not being able to find the PXE on the DCHP ... or something along those lines, it says a lot of junk in a short amount of time before it reboots. Is this network boot something I can be walked through to get windows XP back onto my laptop without having a working CD-Rom drive on the laptop? I have the windows install CD and a computer with a CD-Rom (and cables to connect them)... but I just don't have a laptop with a working CD-Rom drive.

Any advice as to how I can get windows XP back on my laptop would be great! I'd love to replace the CD-Rom drive, but I'm sort of strapped for cash and don't even know where to go about looking to buy one (let alone how to replace it!), so I'm crossing my fingers it's possible to install windows XP over the network.

Thanks for your time,
Nick Piatt

Advertisements