Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP log in screen

• Please log in to reply

J a c k

J a c k

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. a while ago i, somehow, accidentally deleted the switch user, log-in screen type thing (or maybe its called the welcome screen?) where you can stay logged into one account while going into another, so every time sombody else wants to log into their account i have to log completely off of mine. Is there any way i could get this back?

heres a random image i found of it.

I would greatly appreciate if somebody could tell me how to get it back.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Better late then never:

To change users without logging off in a workgroup environment
Click Start, click Log off, and then click Switch User.
On the Welcome screen, click another user account icon.
Windows displays the new user's desktop and settings.

Note

You can identify the current user account by clicking Start and reading the account name located on the Start menu.

Additionally:

Fast User Switching-

When multiple users share a computer, logging off and logging on to the computer in order to switch users can become tiresome.

Fast User Switching, a feature of Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional when it is not joined to a domain, makes it possible for you to quickly switch between users without actually logging off from the computer. Multiple users can share a computer and use it simultaneously, switching back and forth without closing the programs they are running.

For example, suppose you are working on the household budget and you have to leave the computer for a short time. Your child expresses a desire to play a game while you are away. With Fast User Switching, you can leave your financial program running and let your child log on to play the game. When you log back on, you return to the budget without losing your place.

To switch to another user, click Start, click Log Off, click Switch User, and then click the user account you would like to switch to. For more information about switching between users without logging off, click Related Topics.

Important

When Fast User Switching is turned on, Serial Keys will not work. Serial Keys is an accessibility feature that provides support so that alternative input devices, such as single switch or puff and sip devices, can be used in place of the computer's standard keyboard or mouse. For more information, click Related Topics.
Notes

Fast User Switching will not appear if it has not been turned on in User Accounts in Control Panel.
Fast User Switching is not available on computers that are members of a network domain.
Only users with a computer administrator account on a computer can turn on or turn off Fast User Switching.
Fast User Switching cannot be turned off while multiple users are logged on to the computer.
When Fast User Switching is not turned on, programs shut down when you log off, and the computer runs faster for the next user who logs on. For information about turning on Fast User Switching in User Accounts in Control Panel, click Related Topics.

And:

To turn Fast User Switching on or off-

You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the User Fast User Switching feature. Fast User Switching is not available on computers that are members of a network domain.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Click Change the way users log on or off.
Do one of the following:
To specify that a user's programs remain running when another user logs on to the computer, select the Use Fast User Switching check box.
If you select this option, programs do not shut down when another user logs on to the computer. For example, if you are typing a report and your child wants to check e-mail, you can log off using Switch User, the child can log on, check e-mail, and then log off. You can log on and return to your report without losing your place.

To specify that programs shut down when users log off the computer, clear the Use Fast User Switching check box.
Programs automatically shut down when users log off the computer, and the computer will run faster for the next user who logs on.

Important

When Fast User Switching is turned on, Serial Keys will not work. Serial Keys is an accessibility feature that provides support so that alternative input devices (such as single switch or puff and sip devices) can be used in place of the computer's standard keyboard or mouse.
Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
Fast User Switching cannot be turned off while multiple users are logged on to the computer.

From Windows Help.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 03 September 2007 - 07:23 AM.