Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crash followed by BSOD

• Please log in to reply

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok so time for am update.

Having failed to really get any of the above working - I couldn't seem to get anywhere with a boot up disc since DOS didn't recognise the NTFS drive - I decided to buy a new hard drive. Spent £60 on a 320GB Seagate drive and stuck Windows on that. When I made the old one a slave, Windows did a chkdsk and found errors and "fixed" them.

I can access data on the old drive (which is good) but nothing is ever easy... I did try to replace the "system" file with one from a system restore file and when I tried to boot up with the old drive I appeared to be getting somewhere with the XP splash screen but then a BSOD.

Anyway - new problem is my new hard drive. It seems painfully slow - complains that all drivers are unsigned, doesn't recognise my USB card - despite installing the Belkin drivers. I also had problems when installing Windows the first time on it but not the second. Won't let me do Windows updates either - just seems to get stuck.

Sigh. So Ive decided to call it quits - the new hard drive seems crap but at least I can get data back. Think I might buy a new PC - so fed up I might even get one from PC world just so I can have a proper PC again!

Cheers for all your help though!

Advertisements